Scary?? Chicken eating leaves of tomato plant

Backyard Barb

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
Brisbane
I know the leave of a tomato plant are toxic to people and that chickens have more robust systems than humans. . . should be worried that our chickens have taken to snacking on the tomato leaves?

hu.gif

Only worry about it if they get sick I'd say. Mine ate poison ivy one day, they're fine. Deer eat tomato plants all the time and it doesn't bother them. I think they'll be fine but for your tomatos I'd put some cage around them otherwise you won't have any.
smile.png

The other question is will I find our eggs laden with nightshade?

We do have cages around the tomatoes, but the tomatoes have decided to get really big this year and they are sticking out all over the place.

You know mine have been nibbling on my tomatoe plant leaves for a coulpe of months and they are doing fine. I read to that they were toxic. Now that my tomatoe plants have just about dried up (the heat is too much) and not producing much they leave them alone. I was also afraid but they are happy healthy girls so I don't worry anymore. As far as the eggs IDK I haven't noticed anything different. Oh, and I also heard of some restaruants that serve tomatoe plants leaves. I don't know for what but that is what I've heard.

Last edited:
Quote:
I found this regarding chickens and tomato plants:

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Hi,

It's fine for your chickens to eat the fruits of tomato, but the leave contain a nasty toxin that can be harmful.

Tomato leaves are very bitter so you'll fine chicken won't touch them very often, once tasted they tend to leave them alone. Potato leaves are the same too, as tomato and potato plants are related.
Source(s):
Poultry farm manager.

This probably applies to most poisonous plants.

hello backyard Barb,

My hens have snacked on tomato leaves over the years, and seem to have no ill effects....if they had no other greens then it may be a different story... all the best with your hens......Fowlo

Back
Top Bottom