Scary Morning

Bantamlover23

Songster
11 Years
Aug 6, 2008
Chuluota, FL
I was kicked by one of the boarder's horses today while I was cleaning stalls. This time it was the horse's fault because I went to go moving him over and he spun around and kicked me up under my arm because I had raised my arm to protect my head. I definately had a reality check this morning. I tend to become to lax around the horses because all of them are pretty good but this one and this made me realize that I cannot do that.

I met a woman, who trained and rode Dressage. She had a large chunk of muscle missing, out of one of her biceps...She said that a stallion had grabbed her, with his mouth and slung her around, like a rag doll. The flesh died and she had to have it cut out.

Horses are very dangerous creatures. IMHO.

Been there and done that! A big ouch!

Nasty QH mare, turned around on me because she simply did not want to move over, so she decided to give me a piece of her mind. Kicked me good in the upper thigh and she did not stop at one kick, she kept kicking, shoving and trying to get me pinned against the wall. She did not last long, told the owner to take the spoiled horse back. Then the horse died of founder about ten years later...and no one could ever train her. Neither did her daughter that wanted her in the first place wants nothing to do with this horse who acted like a goat. Nasty, nasty horse.

Another one was a Paso Fino stallion, who loves to bare his teeth at anyone and everyone. Had a hot wire lined in his stall as well! The owner told me to do things quickly dump the feed in the wall container, throw the hay on the far corner but he was ok when you want to take him out of the stall to clean but beware of his teeth. One day, I threw his feed in the wall container, he nailed me good in the shoulder, good thing I had a whip in my pocket and beat the living daylights out of him, I mean BEAT the tar out of him! Rage is what I felt that time and I was ok but very sore. That evening I went back to do the feeding again, he saw me, went to his corner like a quivering mass of horseflesh...he was scared sh**less of me! Only me! Anyone else, he would attack. When I left, he nailed everyone until he was gelded but his attitude was nasty still. Glad he died many years later. Good grief, some of his offsprings were nasty like he was. So I avoided those lines of his.

Get well fast and put ice pack on it.....you will be sore for a good while!

When you let a horse figure out that it hurts the legs to kick, they ALL will stop. I've been a ranch hand for many years, have trained cutters, & you have to be the boss of ALL the horses you deal with. I't sounds like I'm mean to them, but I love all my horses. Stall the horse, with a tight rope behind, about 2 feet off the ground. make it kick. When it gets tired of kicking the rope with it's leg, it stops. You may have to do this for a few days, but usually done in 1 day. Sore legs....no kick. I have 1 mini at home I had to train, & 1 buckskin at work, who will probably never try to kick me again, because he found out it hurts him more than me.

Back
Top Bottom