scattered feed

notrub

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2015
twentynine palms ca
I have two feeders in my coop with lay pellets,lately, the feed has been scattered all over the yard, I usually give my chickens a treat twice a day, and boy are they chow hounds, maybe I am giving them too much ??, removed the feeder today to see if they would clean up what is on the ground. I live in the high desert so there isn't much they can scratch around for. I usually give them greens and carrots in the morning and dried worms in the afternoon they are 9 months old and are good layers for the past six months.don' t like the wasted food.

Our birds do the exact same thing
They pick out all the corn and sunflower seeds and scatter the layer pellets everywhere
They never eat it they just leave it for granted.
But if they are hungry enough they will eat it.
I don't think there is anything you can do

them's gourmand chickens. I don't blame them. I am sure if the pellets were substituted with some type of insects and fresh greens they would gobble it all up instead.

Giving the treats in a separate feeder or on the ground if you aren't already would help. Using a deeper feeder that they can't bill the feed out of would help even more. Most commercial feeders have a dish that is too shallow and the feed coming out of the magazine comes to close to the top. So when they peck the feed it can fly out or they look for the choice bit and bill the rest of the food out to find it.

I just don't get why people don't get it!
Wet their feed with water. I serve all my mash wet. They can't waste it or throw it around that way.
Scratch is thrown on the ground so they get some grit.

Back
Top Bottom