Scattering feed vs feeder

NuffSaid

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
We are expecting our first chickens in two weeks and I can't seem to find a lot of feedback on scattering feed vs using a traditional feeder. We have built our tractor, 6x12 enclosed run with raised 4x6 coop, that will be home to six 4 week old chicks from McMurray hatchery. I intend to move the tractor regularly to give them access to "fresh" foraging. After much research here, as well as other sites, I've decided to mix my own feed using mostly organic, all non-GMO ingredients. I'd like to scatter the feed in the run, as I've read this satisfies their desire to scratch and peck for food, keeps them busy, and entertains them all at the same time.

I'd love input from those in a similar situation as to how successful this has been, or not, if that has been the case.

Thanks!

You should have a feeder. Throwing handfuls is usually done with treats like scratch you expect them to eat immediately. Feed is usually offered all day so a container works best or feed will get wasted and contaminated by poo laying on the ground in pen all day.

Back
Top Bottom