Scratch and heat?

During the summer they eat less so they need protien instead of fat. Scratch has alot of fat in it so it may slow down their laying during the summer. During the winter they eat more so their food doesn't have to have as much protien in it.

Last edited:
My free range hens get a treat every morning. I give them sunflower seeds, scratch grains and cat food, each given as 1/3 of the treat. This way the protein content is increased with cat food and sunflower feed being 30%, however keep in mind that this is just treat and the fat content is still high.

bigzio

Okay- Well I let them free range and I know they eat a ton of bugs so maybe that will potion out. I just got worried because I heard of people only feeding scratch in the winter! But my girls are nice and young and energetic. I feed them Layer and they get lots of greens from the garden too. Well thanks all!

here are several articles to help you understand the different issues and measures to take (including dietary) for HEAT STRESS... you should take away their feed entirely in the afternoon is the advice (some advise in the morning and returning it in the evening ...some the late afternoon and evening... but all advise for the afternoon and hottest part of the day no feed at all which is why it is also advised at the same time to supplement the feed with a good nutritional/vitamin supplement as they will always eat less during heat stress anyway)>ALL advise not to give scratch grains when it is hot... here is the link to the thread:
http://p072.ezboard.com/fbackyardchickensfrm1.showMessage?topicID=22798.topic

Last edited:
All those links refer to broiler house chickens. I still feel comfortable with my free range birds that move around into shade, breezes, and get water as they need it. I raise mainly bantams, too which are native to tropical areas. I think all of this should be considered. Everyone I know has always left feed for free range birds when they want it, and I have never heard of any heat mortality. Do you have any data on free range birds, or bantam breeds?

Wow! Our humidity at present is 65%, so my chickens started their day in Alert, have moved up to Danger & will be in Emergency by the end of the day, according to the chart on that link!
I'm not sure which was worse: drought w/wildfires & dangerously low humidity (firewise) or rain every afternoon & staggering humidity in the daytime!
We walked over to the post office, stopped at the little market & came home, & we were drenched by time we got back here.

Back
Top Bottom