Scratch feed ????

smile.png
I feed my two roosters (Rocky- A Barred rock, and Bullwinkle, (alias "Red") a Rhode Island Red, scratch, and they have the run of the 2 acres every other day. My 12 R.I.R. hens are fed laying rations and an assortment of yogart/oyster shells/ or bread for a treat every day to help keep the shells healthy and hard. They have the run of the yard every other day that the roosters are in thier pen. I keep the roosters because I love them and my nieghbors wanted to hear them in the morning. It's a win win situation!

I give my girls treats of a little wild bird seed, oats, unhulled sunflower seeds and scratch. They love it and they are healthy.

The scratch I buy has corn,wheat,oats and barley in it.I add blackoil sunflower seeds to it as well.I give them a few handfulls a day.All year long.
I don't believe scratch is like "candy" and is bad for them.I know it shouldn't be used as their only source of feed.
I also don't believe it keeps them warm.Unless you consider the exercise they get by scratching for it.
I look at it as giving them whole grains with protein(boss).I think wheat gives you quality golden yolks(not yellow) and oats are one of the best things you could feed a chicken.
I know many(very many) will disagree with this,but this is my opinon. Will

Back
Top Bottom