scratch grain addict rooster

Txchickhitch

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 24, 2018
I have been raising chickens for many years now, but this is a new one. I have always fed my chickens scratch grains in the winter months along with their regular feed (20% protein). They know it is a special treat and we refer to it as "candy" and crazy enough they recognize that word and what it means. This season I changed not only the brand of scratch but the type of scratch. I have always used the Dumor brand and they liked it but I wanted to try something healthier this year so I switched to Cluck & Co. Wow!! That is when it all started. Obviously they love it, the rooster however....demands it. He is a good boy, sometimes, but I can see his moods, read him like a book!! With this scratch he is demanding it to the point of wanting to spur me to get the bag out of my hand, or if he thinks I have it in my hand. He goes wild when he realizes it is already in the yard. This morning, he like to have choked and that shook me. There is currently no grass in their yard due to tractor work, but next month I will be re-sodding it. I have also tried to feed them the imPECKkables grass and herb treats, that was a big no, he made his point known on that one. Is it normal for a bird to go this crazy over feed? It is an organic grain with no added flavors or really anything that I would think make him go this wild. I'm wondering if I should buy this again. This isn't like him.

I have been raising chickens for many years now, but this is a new one. I have always fed my chickens scratch grains in the winter months along with their regular feed (20% protein). They know it is a special treat and we refer to it as "candy" and crazy enough they recognize that word and what it means. This season I changed not only the brand of scratch but the type of scratch. I have always used the Dumor brand and they liked it but I wanted to try something healthier this year so I switched to Cluck & Co. Wow!! That is when it all started. Obviously they love it, the rooster however....demands it. He is a good boy, sometimes, but I can see his moods, read him like a book!! With this scratch he is demanding it to the point of wanting to spur me to get the bag out of my hand, or if he thinks I have it in my hand. He goes wild when he realizes it is already in the yard. This morning, he like to have choked and that shook me. There is currently no grass in their yard due to tractor work, but next month I will be re-sodding it. I have also tried to feed them the imPECKkables grass and herb treats, that was a big no, he made his point known on that one. Is it normal for a bird to go this crazy over feed? It is an organic grain with no added flavors or really anything that I would think make him go this wild. I'm wondering if I should buy this again. This isn't like him.
I buy Kalmbach's Henhouse Reserve for scratch and fermenting. It's actually feed but I won't feed it as they waste it picking through for the good stuff. At least by fermenting it, they eat every speck of it, and as scratch, they seem to eat almost all of it.

Back
Top Bottom