Scratch Grain- Why it's useful in flock management and nutrition

Status
Not open for further replies.
welasharon,

I am trying to do similar (although with grains) with my free-ranging dominique flock while staying away from using a complete commercial diet. During the growing season my pastures do provide abundance of some nutrients but are inadequate with others. During spring months protein seems to be limiting while once the insect biomass ramps up in summer, energy becomes limiting. To compensate, I am using rationed chick grower that is high on protein side during spring and scratch grains during summer months with only minimal amounts of chick grower. I am attempting to adjust feed types added based upon foraging activity. In future I hope to place small amounts of differing feedstuffs out in containers. Thought is birds will preferentially consume feedstuffs that are richer in nutrients the that the forage base is short on overall. Eventually, I hope to be a using only a feedstuff or two at any given time and be able to manipulate the the plant component of natural forages so bulk of energy needs can be supplied by plants growing in pasture. I want green plant parts to make up a larger portion of feed intake and nutrition during the production season. Quality formulated feed will then be restricted to non-growing season (winter months) when feed requirments minimal owing to reduced number of birds.

Resolution, I agree that chickens need scratch, or more then soft food, I know their gullets need to be exercised.

I use Layena. I wanted to make it more nutritious, but to add things is not possible, since it will sift to the bottom. So, I have always used equine sweet feed as scratch, mainly for the whole oats, and more nutrition than scratch. It is held together by molasses.

Here's the ingredients

Blue Ribbon High Efficiency (Seminole feeds)

A premium quality textured, high-fat feed containing 12% protein and added lysine & threonine for growing, breeding, pleasure and performance horses. Fortified with guaranteed levels of vitamins, minerals & essential nutrients to provide optimal nutrition for horses.

FEATURES
BENEFITS

Oat-Based, Fixed-Formula
Provides consistent, controlled, starch level for better health

Lysine & Threonine
Supports growth & performance needs

Yeast Culture
Increased fiber digestibility, nutrient availability & palatability

Chelated Trace Minerals
Improved absorption & availability for key metabolic processes

Soybean Oil
Added for improved hair coat & body condition

Biotin & Methionine
Included for hoof strength & growth

Antioxidants
Vitamin E & Selenium Yeast for healthy immune system function

High Fat & Caloric Content
Supports energy demands & reduces feeding rate

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein (min)……….……………………12.0%
Potassium (min)………………………………….0.8%

Crude Fat (min)………….……………………….8.0%
Zinc (min)…………………………………….120 ppm

Crude Fiber (max)………………..……………...7.0%
Copper (min)…………………………………. 40 ppm

Calcium (min)………………………………..… 0.75%
Selenium (min)………...…………..…………0.3 ppm

Calcium (max)………………………………….0.85%
Vitamin A (min)…………………………....6,000 IU/lb

Phosphorus (min)…….………………………...0.55%
Vitamin D3 (min)…………………………… 400 IU/lb

Lysine (min)……………………………………..0.80%
Vitamin E (min) ……………………..……..…50 IU/lb

Methionine (min)……………….………………0.20%
Biotin (min)…………………………………0.45 mg/lb

Threonine (min)………….…….………………0.50%
Starch (Average)………………………….………30%

INGREDIENTS

Steam Crimped Oats, Cracked Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Salt, Yeast Culture, Soybean Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a Natural Source of Vitamin E), Phosphoric Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, L-Lysine, Biotin, DL-Methionine, Threonine, Propionic Acid (preservative), Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Selenium Yeast, Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Mononitrate.

I learned that pearl millet is supposed to be better then corn.

I have decided to add pearl millet, alfalfa of some sort, and some meat product (fish meal, bone meal, etc.) to the sweetfeed. That should give me more and better nutrition. So that would be my scratch, and they would still get Layena, only I would be throwing more scratch/sweetfeed to them as I have been doing.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Quote:
Nearly all chickens we have to day differ greatly from there junglefowl ancestor not just in looks but also in the ability to possess food. The chickens and the junglefowl may have no discernible difference between the digestive systems but that does not mean they have the ability to possess the same foods or feedstuff.

Edited to add -
Chickens feed a all grain/high grain diet have a higher risk of vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) deficiency since most grains are deficient in vitamin B2.
Function of Vitamin B2 vital for growth, the production of red blood cells and releasing energy from food.
The affects on poultry of a low B2 diet can be curled toes, poor growth, weak and emaciation are seen in young birds. Leg muscles are atrophied and flabby. The skin is dry and harsh. Poor hatchability and egg production can occur in adults. Dead embryos have "clubbed" down feathers, it can simulates Marek’s Disease (MD), since both have enlarged peripheral nerves, adults have enlarged fatty (yellow) livers.

Chris

It seems totally natural that the years of domestication would make chickens more suited to the particular feeds they are traditionally fed. That's what I had in mind when I mentioned how I would be interested in learning more about how diet and genetics are linked among the diversity of different breeds out there, including in particular the traditional landraces (and not just the modern breeds that are all fed pretty much the same thing). Chickens have adapted to environments as different as Iceland and South America, and obviously all these breeds haven't been developed on the same feed ration, so I have no doubt there digestive abilities vary, just as things like lactose intolerance and vitamin requirements vary among human populations in an adaptive response to environment and diet. I assume based on my limited knowledge that most of the basis of these feed rations of different folk breeds of chicken--which comprise the bulk of chicken history and from which many of our modern breeds have been developed from--would be locally available grains, plus unique local forage. So I think it might be very enlightening to examine and compare some different examples--assuming the information is out there somewhere.

In likening jungle fowl to chickens, I meant to establish a relative basis on which to build a picture of that aforementioned diversity, not to start an argument about classification...
hmm.png

Hopefully we can still do that. I think it would be very interesting, helpful to the development of sustainable chicken-keeping, and in terms of how all the different feed grains Resolution talked about from around the world fit into this picture of genetic diversity in chickens, perfectly relevant to this thread IMHO...

I just saw this ad on CL...does this sound good? Any thoughts?

Chicken Feed made with non-recyled antique farm equipment - $55 (Amity)
Date: 2011-12-16, 8:19AM PST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
The current batch is oats, vetch, wheat, barley with a hint of Alfalfa and molasses. Mostly whole or cracked grains. The fines are quite small so if you don't have a feeder there will be waste.
If you got some of the fluffy stuff I made last year please let me know.
$55 for a 55 gallon drum that you supply. I can supply a nice metal drum with a locking lid for an additional $10.
I will fill other containers by volume at $1 per gallon.
Would also consider trade for Lego Farm, Lego Remote Control Excavator, Lego RC train, Coffee, AT155LC phono cartridge, Dynaco speakers, International engine above 400 cu inch, or another lemon tree.
If I promised to call you after I ran out of chicken feed this summer I apologize. I lost everyone's phone number as I keep all my records on the dash of my pickup and there was a bit of a cross-wind one day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom