scratch VS whole corn

Sugar Sand Farm

Songster
12 Years
Apr 24, 2007
North Florida
We usually feed our chickens scratch as a treat. Recently we acquired some geese. These birds eat whole corn. My question is can we give the whole corn to our chickens?WHat with the high cost of corn nowadays we are trying to cut a few corners. We do not give our chickens grit as we live in a very sandy soil area. No one around here gives grit. We have had our chickens over a year and they are fine. Thank you Micki

Well.....mine get a little of everything. They are just over a year old now, and they get layer pellets every day...free choice. Then I give them a little corn before they go out to free roam, and a few handfulls of scratch before bedtime. Out of 11 hens, I get between 9 and 10 eggs a day. Im happy with the results! Everyone has thier own idea, so I am sure you will get many different responses.

We give the chiickens layer pellets. They are avaiilable all the time. We also give them Oak brush and vegtables, and fruits. I was just concerned that the whole corn was so large compared to the scratch. Before Ii givie it to them I would liike to know if iits safe. We have never had any illness and don't want to press our luck.

Most standard size chickens can eat whole corn, and in fact it is great to give them whole corn in the winter cause corn digestion creates heat. I give all my birds a "16% gamefowl" feed. Has oats, fish oil, etc, etc. and whole corn. When it is cold, you can watch the birds go after the corn. Cracked grains can lose some of its nutritional value depending on the processing used. (I can list the whole ingredient list if any one is interested)

Thank you all I was told that the cracked corn lost some of its nutritional value as well. I have been cracking the whole corn for our girls. The geese will eat cracked or whole it doesn't matter to them as they are only goslings 2 months old . Its amazing that the cracked corn here is so expensive compared to the whole corn The price has doubled this past year Every little bit helps I sometimes think its cheaper to feed fresh vegtables thanks again

I make a homemade blend of scratch for my small flock of four chickens. I use pearled barley, green split peas, yellow split peas, lentils, black eyed peas, and some wild birdseed that contains millet, wheat, and a few sunflower seeds. They love it. All the grains are fed whole and I've had no problems. Of course I have grit available at all times.

I was wondering if they would like barley, lentils, or split peas! Cool - I will add that in as a change of pace! Currently I give my rooster about 2/3 layer pellets and 1/3 scratch grains with grit added in... I just toss it out in the enclosure. He has just the pellets in a feeder in the coop. He likes the grains much more than the pellet stuff....

OK this is going to make you roll around laughing, but remember we call things differently overhere! (The first time I heard of chickens living in a tractor I just about died - they live in arks here which I guess is funny to you!
lol.png
) But what is 'scratch'?

PLEASE be sensible!!!!!!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom