Screaming all day, every day

bbycarrot

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
Northeast Texas
Hello there! This is my first post on BYC. I have seen similar posts to what I'm about to share, but nothing quite the same. I have done hours worth of internet searching and watching youtube videos, but nothing addresses my problem.

We have a french black copper maran (Marie) who will NOT STOP screaming all day. There is the occasional break for an our or two, but most of the time it is constant. It is NOT her egg laying call. She is also not broody and is laying fine. Our hens have full run of our backyard that has nice grass, plenty of bugs to chase around, and multiple areas of shelter including our garage, covered patio, and trees. They have plenty of food and water, nesting boxes, and dustbathing areas.

We got Marie along with a soeckled sussex we named Filianore when they were little babies. They got along okay with our slightly older girls, but mainly kept to themselves. Fil was especially freindly toward humans and was a lap chicken after she started laying. One night she passed away from what we think was liver failure. We buried her under our big oak tree. I don't remember if that is what triggered it or not, but I think after Fil died, that is when Marie got really loud. She wanders around the yard screaming and will do it while scratching and sometimes while eating. The only time she doesn't scream is when she is sleeping and when she is actively laying an egg in the nesting boxes.

Our buff orpington tries to hang out with her, but Marie always walks away from the others. I believe this is because she is at the bottom of the pecking order and our easter egger (at the top and our lady rooster-wannabe) is mean to her. It's not constant picking, but it is noticeable that she doesn't like Marie, but she will also pick on the others from time to time as well.

I'm so desperate to figure out how to soothe Marie and get her to quiet down. It's been around 9 months since Fil passed away, so I'm not sure if grief is really the cause. My husband wants to rehome her because it's hard for him to focus when he works from home and he is worried about the neighbors. Our neighbors have not complained and we give them eggs, although two of them did think Marie was a goose because of how she sounds. I also think part of the issue is she has intensely strong vocal chords. She seems physically healthy, but this screaming makes me so sad.

Before rehoming her as a last resort, I was desperate to see if anyone here had any idea on what changes we could make so that she doesn't seem so upset all the time. I love all my hens and would prefer to keep them around. I like to think we give them a great life, but any advice on what I can do better to make her happier is appreciated.

Hello there! This is my first post on BYC. I have seen similar posts to what I'm about to share, but nothing quite the same. I have done hours worth of internet searching and watching youtube videos, but nothing addresses my problem.

We have a french black copper maran (Marie) who will NOT STOP screaming all day. There is the occasional break for an our or two, but most of the time it is constant. It is NOT her egg laying call. She is also not broody and is laying fine. Our hens have full run of our backyard that has nice grass, plenty of bugs to chase around, and multiple areas of shelter including our garage, covered patio, and trees. They have plenty of food and water, nesting boxes, and dustbathing areas.

We got Marie along with a soeckled sussex we named Filianore when they were little babies. They got along okay with our slightly older girls, but mainly kept to themselves. Fil was especially freindly toward humans and was a lap chicken after she started laying. One night she passed away from what we think was liver failure. We buried her under our big oak tree. I don't remember if that is what triggered it or not, but I think after Fil died, that is when Marie got really loud. She wanders around the yard screaming and will do it while scratching and sometimes while eating. The only time she doesn't scream is when she is sleeping and when she is actively laying an egg in the nesting boxes.

Our buff orpington tries to hang out with her, but Marie always walks away from the others. I believe this is because she is at the bottom of the pecking order and our easter egger (at the top and our lady rooster-wannabe) is mean to her. It's not constant picking, but it is noticeable that she doesn't like Marie, but she will also pick on the others from time to time as well.

I'm so desperate to figure out how to soothe Marie and get her to quiet down. It's been around 9 months since Fil passed away, so I'm not sure if grief is really the cause. My husband wants to rehome her because it's hard for him to focus when he works from home and he is worried about the neighbors. Our neighbors have not complained and we give them eggs, although two of them did think Marie was a goose because of how she sounds. I also think part of the issue is she has intensely strong vocal chords. She seems physically healthy, but this screaming makes me so sad.

Before rehoming her as a last resort, I was desperate to see if anyone here had any idea on what changes we could make so that she doesn't seem so upset all the time. I love all my hens and would prefer to keep them around. I like to think we give them a great life, but any advice on what I can do better to make her happier is appreciated.
Can you post a video so we can hear what it sounds like?
Also, you say physically healthy which is great - but how does she behave? Does she do normal chicken-ey things like dust bathing and scratching etc.
I have a hen that is very loud and shouts most of the time - I sort of just assumed she was complaining to management about some aspects of her life!

I too have a hen that yells all day, usually only every other day or so, but sometimes more. In her case she usually wants me to come walk around the yard with her. She has 2 flock mates she gets along with fine and is my lead hen. She didn't start until she was about 3.
20230520_192105~3.jpg
I think there are some hens that are just super loud.

Can you post a video so we can hear what it sounds like?
Also, you say physically healthy which is great - but how does she behave? Does she do normal chicken-ey things like dust bathing and scratching etc.
I have a hen that is very loud and shouts most of the time - I sort of just assumed she was complaining to management about some aspects of her life!
This video makes her sound way quieter than it actually is. It also varies in pace-- sometimes much faster than this. As for her behavior... I think she is pretty normal outside of whatever this is and being a sort of loner. She dust bathes, scratches, walks around, sits in the shade, preens, lays eggs, eats, comes up to us, chases bugs, gets excited about treats, etc.

I too have a hen that yells all day, usually only every other day or so, but sometimes more. In her case she usually wants me to come walk around the yard with her. She has 2 flock mates she gets along with fine and is my lead hen. She didn't start until she was about 3. View attachment 3585195I think there are some hens that are just super loud.
Even when I just try to hang out with her she still yells LOL
You have a beautiful chicken there. She looks a lot like my Sunny.

Sometimes chicken form very strong bonds and will not stop to call for them when their life partner dies.
This happened with my old Wyandotte sisters and the only way to comfort and distract the remaining one was to let her hatch some chicks to keep her busy.
You could also get her another Speckled Sussex as company, she might be willing to accept her with open wings.

Sometimes chicken form very strong bonds and will not stop to call for them when their life partner dies.
This happened with my old Wyandotte sisters and the only way to comfort and distract the remaining one was to let her hatch some chicks to keep her busy.
You could also get her another Speckled Sussex as company, she might be willing to accept her with open wings.
Yes this ^^
Also some chickens are just shouters - that does not sound to me like there is anything wrong with her.
As well as what @LaFleche suggests you could also try various distractions. Mine will shut up for a bit when really intent on something. A hanging cabbage or a huge heap of leaves full of bugs usually gives me a couple of hours of peace and quiet - whereas her regular food and forage don't.

I too have a hen that yells all day, usually only every other day or so, but sometimes more. In her case she usually wants me to come walk around the yard with her. She has 2 flock mates she gets along with fine and is my lead hen. She didn't start until she was about 3. View attachment 3585195I think there are some hens that are just super loud.
:goodpost:

And what a beautiful chicken and a lovely photo. You should submit that to POW or the calendar contest - really lovely.

This video makes her sound way quieter than it actually is. It also varies in pace-- sometimes much faster than this. As for her behavior... I think she is pretty normal outside of whatever this is and being a sort of loner. She dust bathes, scratches, walks around, sits in the shade, preens, lays eggs, eats, comes up to us, chases bugs, gets excited about treats, etc.
She sounds like she is just "talking"? Albeit very loud. I've heard similar but quieter - varying pace like you said - from one of my pullet who likes to "chatter". Gawd I hope mine doesn't grow as loud 🤣
Coincidentally, that pullet is pretty high-strung.. so perhaps it is possible your hen started this behaviour due to being affected by her buddy's passing?

Back
Top Bottom