Seasonal Layers, so WHEN are they going to start laying again?

malinois

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
Butler Pennsylvania
HI everyone. I guess this question is relevant to the area which I live in. My birds quit laying mid September last year. I have a light on in their coop (mostly for them to find their way home because they are not the brightest birds on the planet!) so I can not credit daylight, or lack of, to the egg laying stoppage.
So here in SW PA , when can I expect them to start laying again? I really love their eggs, but I had no idea that I would be feeding them 12 months out of the year, so they would give me eggs....6 months out of the year? The birds will have their 2nd birthday this July, 2015.
thank you,
Val

Hi malinois,

What you are describing is very typical for guineas. In your area I would expect you to start finding eggs around the first of April. (if the snow is finally gone by then)
hmm.png
I live in Northern Wyoming and that is when mine usually start. I have already seen the guineas pairing off and some breeding taking place. Since we have had warmer than normal weather lately mine may start sooner. In warm climates like Texas they are probably already finding eggs.My guineas usually quit laying in September too. And having a light on in the coop may keep the chickens laying but not the guineas.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom