Sebastopol geese

When first hatched, they are like puppies and will follow you around everywhere. They can be very friendly when grown, but once you introduce them into a flock they integrate into the flock and realize you are just a stupid human.....
lol.png

They only lay once a year in the early spring. I think the average number of eggs per season is around 30.

I love hand raising my babies and get very sad when they become part of the flock.
hit.gif

My Sebastopol is a love! She's very friendly, will follow me around, lets me pick her up, eats out of my hand, etc. I've raised her since day old and she's used to people. She lives in the coop with my chickens and ducks - no problems. She lays a lot of eggs, even in the winter. I'm going to get her a boyfriend in the spring :) She's also an excellent mother. My ducks hatched 11 babies last October and the mother duck quickly wanted to wander off, but my goose stayed close to the ducklings, watched over them, flapped and hissed if anyone got too close (but still let me pick them up), and generally tended to the babies.

I love this breed! Highly recommend you get some!

That said, my female is laying right now, so my male is being somewhat nasty because he's breeding. A male gander can definitely be naughty during breeding season.

These are grey, mom Zoey and baby boy Sambocca (Sam) at 5 months old-they look chocolate to me too-
lol.png

goslings774.jpg

goslings879.jpg

goslings648.jpg

Splash, Zen (mom, Zeena, a smooth white Seb in rear)

goslings651.jpg

Blue gander, Yuri

goslings653.jpg

The best of the rest! Splashes Champagne and China and saddleback, Charming, bred by Cottage Rose
goslings646.jpg

They DO need room, if they don't have space their feathers will break off and look AWFUL. As far as price, they are hardy and live a long time if protected from predators and have decent food. They are wonderful parents and have a gentle personality (when not breeding). A $50.00 dollar gosling should live 10 years + and eat a lot of grass and weeds
in season! That's a small investment in my book! A pair should produce 3-8 goslings a year. It's more of a problem if you Don't want a long term animal! I have an African Grey parrot which was crippled with a broken wing and was supposed to die. She has been part of our family for almost 30 years!

Back
Top Bottom