Security light to deter predators?

viggo63

Songster
Apr 30, 2020
Does anyone use a motion-detector security light outside their coop to frighten off predators? I want to put solar powered lights on mine to cover the areas where a potential threat would come from. I tried a cheap one that, of course, didn't work right, so I'm looking for recommendations for a good quality solar powered light at an affordable price.

Thanks in advance.

I already have hotwire, I just want to be as safe as possible.
The hot wires are your number one deterrent provided they are powered with a charger with enough output to get the job done and you maintain the wires to prevent loosing charge to ground.
Are all vents and windows backed with 1/2" hardware cloth?
Are there no openings into the coop that are greater than 1/2"?
Are your doors secured with something that a toddler couldn't easily open?
Do you have a predator apron to prevent digging under the coop/run?
If you have all that in addition to the hot wires and you secure your birds and do head count every night, you should sleep like a baby.

I have a motion sensor solar light. Not for predators - I've seen them and they don't give a sh** about the light - but for me, so I can see better when I go back there after dark. I have to say, that light is no use in terms of letting me know if an animal is back there setting it off. Because the wind blowing through the trees and bushes sets it off. Any kind of movement sets it off. I can see it from my house, and it's on almost continuously. So, it might be useful to you for spotting predators, if there's absolutely nothing near it that could potentially move with the breeze.

I recommend adding a "driveway alert" type of motion detector to help. I have a 15 channel one with the receiver in my window next to the quail coop and it works with everything except Road Runners. The sensors are placed around the coop so anything that moves triggers it and both the predators and I hear it go off and I can ensure the predator is gone. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom