Seeding a run

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
So after yesterday's up close encounter with a bobcat for the first time ever for me at 25 yards. I secured the chickens in a smaller section of the run that bobcats would have a tougher time getting in without us seeing first.

Anyway, I decided to seed a section of their run that's all dirt so in the spring they'll have something to turf through. My farmer neighbor told me that seeding in the fall around here bears better results than in the spring( not sure if that's everywhere or not). I know it's essentially pointless to lay seed in a permanent run as they'll destroy it ultimately but im not terribly concerned about that at this time as I'm trying a series of "studies" to help us save a few bucks in the end.

I already have about 5 pounds of perennial rye grass seed which is plenty to do the space I plan on seeding.

My question is, I'd I plant in the fall, cut off access until a healthy layer of snow falls then let them loose in there. Will they get to the grass seed under the blanket of snow and hay?

My layers from ground up would be seed then hay then snow themln more hay on top. I honestly doubt they'd be out there long as my senior birds (even though all are winter hardy) hated the snow. Didnt mind so much the temp but hated the snow.

I'd frost seed in the spring with clover a good grass seed. I don't like rye grass. It overtakes the good grass.
I planned on tossing out more seed in the spring too as this seed is a couple years old so im not sure how well the seed will germinate. Also I wasn't thrilled at its success a couple years ago when I bought it. Took longer than expected.

I planned on tossing out more seed in the spring too as this seed is a couple years old so im not sure how well the seed will germinate. Also I wasn't thrilled at its success a couple years ago when I bought it. Took longer than expected.
Old seed has a much lower germination rate. Depending on your location,
You could seed some perennial clover now as long as the gals are kept off of it till winter and frozen.

Old seed has a much lower germination rate. Depending on your location,
You could seed some perennial clover now as long as the gals are kept off of it till winter and frozen.
How well does it grow under shade? That's my huge hangup is I have like 4 big old maples that provide awesome aerial cover from predators. I know white clover is great under heavier shade. I've had a difficult time finding something that gives me definitive proof of growing well in heavy shade.

How well does it grow under shade? That's my huge hangup is I have like 4 big old maples that provide awesome aerial cover from predators. I know white clover is great under heavier shade. I've had a difficult time finding something that gives me definitive proof of growing well in heavy shade.
Clover likes some sun, I'd do a 60-40 mix white/red.
If there Norway maple, give up now, lol. Nothing grows for long under those...

Back
Top Bottom