Seeking Cup Waterer Recommendations

I have them, but they seem to be dirty all of the time. The girls get on top of the bucket and poop in them and many other things. So while convenient, I hate trying to keep them clean. I will be trying the nipples. After all, the eggs whites are made up of 88% water content, so I figure I am eating whatever water they drank. And I want to keep them healthy. So from my experience, I would not buy them again if I can use something cleaner.
We started with the DYI horizontal nipples in a 5-gallon bucket 7 years ago, and still have it. No open water in the coop, no mess to clean, just rinse it out when it gets empty, put 1/2 teaspoon of RV water freshener in it, and it's good for nearly a month.

About a year ago, we saw the vertical ones for chicks, so tried those, that's all we use now for them too until they can convert to the horizontal ones in about a month.

We made them a smaller version of the horizontal nipple waterer with a tupperware container.

Attachments

• Brooder 2.jpg
    Brooder 2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1
We started with the DYI horizontal nipples in a 5-gallon bucket 7 years ago, and still have it. No open water in the coop, no mess to clean, just rinse it out when it gets empty, put 1/2 teaspoon of RV water freshener in it, and it's good for nearly a month.

About a year ago, we saw the vertical ones for chicks, so tried those, that's all we use now for them too until they can convert to the horizontal ones in about a month.

We made them a smaller version of the horizontal nipple waterer with a tupperware container.
Wonderful! Sounds great to me. Did you have any trouble training them to use it?

What if instead of a flat-topped bucket, you used a container (like a gallon plastic jug) with a pointy top that they couldn't climb on? That's part of why I like the kind with the fitting that can be oriented vertically (pointed upwards, to go into the bottom of a hanging container, that could then be placed higher than they would like to land on).

Or else, maybe just put something on top of the bucket.
Its a 5 gallon bucket, I would have to attach something to it which would make it difficult to fill. I'm hoping i can use the same holes and put the nipples in those spots. Will have to see. Thank you for your suggestion though.

Wonderful! Sounds great to me. Did you have any trouble training them to use it?
Nope. Take all other sources of water away. It's the adults that need one to learn. The little ones figure it out. For the first one 7 years ago, we put a hen up to it and tapped the little metal thing with our finger. She (silkie) wasn't getting it so tapped her beak on it. She got it and the others stood there watching her peck away drinking, then they all did. That's the last time I trained one.

Its a 5 gallon bucket, I would have to attach something to it which would make it difficult to fill. I'm hoping i can use the same holes and put the nipples in those spots. Will have to see. Thank you for your suggestion though.
We kept the lid on, and handle. When it gets low, we bring it to the house and rinse it out then add water and a 1/2 t of RV water freshener and then hubby lugs it back out there. We keep a cozy coop heater behind it so it doesn't freeze. There's another heater too in the coop keeping the coop from freezing but sometimes the water would still get ice on top as we don't keep the heat up much above 35F in there.

Back
Top Bottom