Self Blue (Lavender) Silkie Thread

Thanks! I wish the cockerels wings were a bit tighter but I like his cushion, width, comb, and he has no leakage, so I will give him a shot with my tight winged girls.

This thread was crazy last year, have lots of people given up on Lavs?

Quote:
May I ask who the breeder is? They are simply beautiful!!!!!!!!

I have a black/split lav. roo (named Midnight) who is Mr.Personality! He will literally jump into my arms when I open the coop in the mornings. He loves to be held and petted. Isn't that crazy? I just love him.

When I first got started with silkies I was only keeping hens because I have a 'stealth coop' in a residential neighborhood. Bobby Porto told me I would fall in love with the 'boys'. Well, 2 years later I find she was RIGHT! They have the most incredible personalities! I have three coops, and three roos, each with marvelous feathering and charm. I can only pray no one turns me into code enforcement. I can't bear to part with them!

Last edited:
Quote:
I LOVE my roos too! They are so much fun, don't tell my hens but all my roos are my fav
love.gif
If I had to get rid of all but one or two of my birds, I would keep silkie roos and just buy eggs!

The two I just got were from Shagbark Silkies. She had been listing quite a bit recently now that the weather has cooled for shipping. I would also highly recommend Bren Gambrill, and Lynette in CO (Foot Hill Feathers). I don't know if they have anything at the moment, but when I started with lavenders they are who I got mine from. I got a roo from Bren and a trio from Lynette and could not be happier with the birds, and what they produced.

Here were the birds I got from Lynette in CO a few years ago...two hens first as pullets, and the roo was sadly killed by a coon THROUGH the wire at dusk last fall
sad.png

57966_2010p73a1.jpg

57966_2010p82a1.jpg

57966_lavrool.jpg

And this was my boy from Bren... He was the start to my Lav showgirls. His son replaced his as top roo this year, but I do still have him with two girls until the weather cools and he goes to his new home!
57966_lav_sg_6.jpg

57966_lav_sg_back_3.jpg

And his son...Basketball (named my hubby
roll.png
)
57966_dsc03792.jpg

I also have 4 lavender showgirl hens and a black split showgirl hen (in my avatar) which are all sisters to Basketball - hence the new unrelated roo purchase from Shagbark.

So my pens will be as follows for my lav and splits:

Pen 1- Lav split roo over 4 lav sgs and one split sg
Pen 2-Basketball over 3 lav hens and a split hen

Last edited:
Riley10 your lavenders are magnificent!!!! Thanks for the recommendations. I only have one lavender and he's a roo. My other roo is a black/split lavender. I hope to have babies in the spring. I would love to have some lavender pullets like yours, WOW they are good looking!

Thanks! I love them
smile.png
I figured I would give a shout-out to some great breeders. I know a lot of people have been getting discouraged with lavs, and not getting pure lavs, so I thought letting people know about my good experiences may help them find good birds too!

I have 3 Lav eggs due to hatch Wednesday, but we had a very small storm (sort of) and the power went out for around an hour and a half. I hope the eggs are okay!!
fl.gif
I had them in and out of our oven (it stays about 110 in there) I was able to keep them around 100-104...I had them around 99-100 for most of the time, but we shall see. Please keep your fingers crossed!!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

~ Aspen

Quote:
Rilly, I love Basketball, he is super! How do you get so many lav's to hatch? I have the worst luck with lav to lav breedings. I hatch some really nice partridge with my Lav Boy over a buff hen though.

Quote:
Thanks! He is a goof. He just bounces around and is so round which is why he has the name lol! I have not had too much trouble with them but it seems that most lavs I hatch are showgirls. I am not sure if the showgirl blood is what makes them more vigorous? I also do a lot of breedings with splits so that brings some different blood in.

I just set 12 eggs so I will keep you posted on my hatch rate with them. They were older eggs (had been sitting on the counter for a while). 6 were from Basketball over two pure blacks so ALL will be splits. That will be the one and only batch from that pairing as I got a new pure/non-split roo for those girls. The other 6 were from Basketball's dad (McLovin) over a split hen, and a lav hen. This will also be the last of that group as I just rearranged everyone this weekend. Those babies would be full siblings to Basketball and the Black Split SG hen in my avatar.

I am trying to think if I have EVER paired a lav silkie with a lav silkie, and I don't think I have! All of the shipped lav eggs I have ever tried ether never developed, or made it to lockdown and quit. I had ONE hatch, but died a day or two later. And you don't even want to know how much I spent trying!

Back
Top Bottom