Self-cleaning Duck Pond?

We have a chemical free swimming pool at our home. Our dog likes to play in water so we asked our swimming pool maintenance service providers to create a pool that can be used by our pets without any worry. I have heard dogs drink the swimming pool water while they swim so we were concerned about it. Our pool constructors introduced us a chemical free swimming pool.

The natural swimming pool has two zones, regeneration zone, and swimming area. The regeneration area contains the water plants which filter the contaminants. The pumps help to circulate the water through the regeneration zone and back to the swimming area. It naturally cleans the water without adding any chemicals or filters.

I think the same technique works well for the pond too. Plants some aquatic plants along the sides of the pond. Let the water filter itself by passing through the plants. Plants act as a filter here.

For no electricity, you'd need a real pond.
Otherwise you are going to have a pond of nastiness in no time.

I have a 7x11 pond that I built, but it has a filter and that's what keeps it usable for a year or more between cleanings.

Do you mind if I ask how expensive and difficult it was to make it? We have 3 full grown ducks and we really need a system like that.

In Columbus Ohio you are not permitted to empty a duck pond directly into surface ground area. You're required to empty the pond to lower than the freezing layer of your land (18 inches). It's been suggested to put a 55 gallon plastic dry well with its top to be deeper than 18 inches below the surface level. Any suggestions that would easier effort to empty the duck pond. You should also know the don't want ducks in your small fish pond.

I have a 7x11 pond that I built, but it has a filter and that's what keeps it usable for a year or more between cleanings.
I know this is an old post, but can you tell me what kind of filter you use to keep the water clean for that long???? Thank you!!

Hi, I know this is an old post. But can you please tell me what kind of filter you have ???

Do you have pictures you can post, to show what you did? I have been using a kiddie pool but have to empty and clean it weekly. Right now the large pool is not available here and I had to substitute a small one. How deep is your 7x11 pond?

I've been on a quest for a self cleaning pond for my 3 runners as well. After mo this of trial end error, I now have a pool that on day 10 still has clear water! I'm posting a picture of it. It's a 75 gallon kiddie pool and I want to upgrade to something larger. We have a solar powered pump from Amazon. The top tier waterfall is filled with lava rock and a few layers of filter foam stuff. The blue bucket is also filled with lava rocks and has water hyacinth anchored in it. The pool has guppies, a mesh bag with oxygen plant, and a whole bunch of water lettuce. I'm curious to see how long I can make this water last before it gets nasty! So far I'm very pleased with this natural filtration system.

Attachments

• C811F243-8515-4370-ADB7-6C20D0AC032D.jpeg
    C811F243-8515-4370-ADB7-6C20D0AC032D.jpeg
    943.8 KB · Views: 56
I've been on a quest for a self cleaning pond for my 3 runners as well. After mo this of trial end error, I now have a pool that on day 10 still has clear water! I'm posting a picture of it. It's a 75 gallon kiddie pool and I want to upgrade to something larger. We have a solar powered pump from Amazon. The top tier waterfall is filled with lava rock and a few layers of filter foam stuff. The blue bucket is also filled with lava rocks and has water hyacinth anchored in it. The pool has guppies, a mesh bag with oxygen plant, and a whole bunch of water lettuce. I'm curious to see how long I can make this water last before it gets nasty! So far I'm very pleased with this natural filtration system.
Would you mind sharing the product name of your solar powered pump from Amazon? When I click the link, it just takes me to the Amazon home page for some reason. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom