Selling and going big -- 100+ chicken ideas

Pics
Ready for the chicks!

Chicks are here, so we are pressing hard to get a secure coop. Got half of the roof done today with my DW.

Got all the roof supports done.

Half the metal done. I'd like to start replacing the other barn metal soon....

Yah, chicks cheeping in the house will accelerate construction speed.....
....to make up for the time you spend staring at the chicks :D

Looking good!

Last edited:
Got the roof 98% complete. I was anxious about doing it, because I hate heights... But it's done!

Also, got hit in the head with chicken math. We had 6 die in shipping, so we're getting those replaced free. I figured I would add 20 to that order... so we'll have 97 total next week...
D.gif

Metal was $1.45 a foot for 3 foot wide panels, so about $0.48 per sq foot. Hardware cloth is running about $0.38 per square foot. Just thinking out loud.

Still need to cut the drip line.

Also found out we messed up, but hopefully it wont be an issue for a while. We used pressure treated wood for the cross pieces that touch the Galvalum metal. I guess it can corrode the metal pretty fast. We'll see.

We're going to re-tin the rest of the barn with the same Galvalum. Picture from the front. We're going to close in the first wall with white oak to match the rest of the barn.

Got the roof 98% complete. I was anxious about doing it, because I hate heights... But it's done!

Also, got hit in the head with chicken math. We had 6 die in shipping, so we're getting those replaced free. I figured I would add 20 to that order... so we'll have 97 total next week...
D.gif

Metal was $1.45 a foot for 3 foot wide panels, so about $0.48 per sq foot. Hardware cloth is running about $0.38 per square foot. Just thinking out loud.

Still need to cut the drip line.

Also found out we messed up, but hopefully it wont be an issue for a while. We used pressure treated wood for the cross pieces that touch the Galvalum metal. I guess it can corrode the metal pretty fast. We'll see.

We're going to re-tin the rest of the barn with the same Galvalum. Picture from the front. We're going to close in the first wall with white oak to match the rest of the barn.

I would worry about the screws. I am not sure what there made of but pt wood needs approved screws. in 2006 when the first changed the pt wood around here I had a small well 16x16 shed I built for my wifes. I was unaware of the change and used a framing nailer to build it. In 4 years it started to get loose in the base cause they nails corroded fast. I ended up crawling under it to add screw to all the joist. well must been nick of time it still is standing today.

Just a thought

Otherwise I love your old barns and new roof. SOMEDAY I want to build a barn on our property. But to many projects on my plate right now.

Scott

Man, that looks great!!

Yikes on the corrosion issue <heartsinkinggutclench>.
Was thinking of the screws too, both roofing and structural.
Guess you could pull a few screws on occasion to monitor and hope for the best.

Luckily the screws were all hot dipped galvanized, so those will be fine. Just the sheet metal roof will rust sooner.
Good News!

Wonder if it would be worth partially unscrewing and inserting U shaped spacers.....just a thought, not very well thought out at that.

Back
Top Bottom