Selling chicken meat in PA

bgill1215

Chirping
Mar 23, 2020
Does anyone sell their chicken meat to the public? My husband and I would like to do this. But from my understanding in PA you need to use usda custom exempt meat processing facility? Is there a way to find a place like this? We've been trying and to no avail. everyone who is a USDA butcher doesn't process chickens. From my understanding we can't butcher on our property and sell to the public. Anyone have any insight? we would be doing less than 1,000 chickens.

Sounds like a great question for your county extension office. It's a major reason the extension service was created to start with, to help people like you. Not all agents are good, but many are. That would be my first call.

Sure, it's Sturgin's. They're good people. A small family business. I don't sell but have been using them for years. No idea if they are up and runnning with this lockdown though.
20200415_230511.jpg

Oh my goodness.. like $3.50 maybe? $3.25? For a whole chicken. Idk if they give a larger quantity discount or not. They will part them for an additional price. They have a "freezer " price that is a bit more, it just means the bird is in a zip tied bag otherwise you bring your own coolers which is what I always do. You'll have to call and maybe leave a message but they're fine to work with. They do turkeys and rabbits too. Oh, and ducks and geese (they worry about the pin feathers but my birds have always come back beautiful).

Back
Top Bottom