Selling live meaties to a butcher/farm stand owner?

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
anyone do/done this.

maybe this guy would like to be able to raise and sell more, but doesn't have time and space to do so.

maybe i could raise some for him, make a little profit and sell em to him to butcher and sell at his stand............

i wonder about this..............

you need to check with your states regs, most only allow 1,000 to 3,000 sold off the farm sold without paperwork, but that is for butchered, lives? who knows. it would be interesting to find out

They'll just kill them and sell them for the meat!

Oh... wait a second.... Uh, nevermind....
big_smile.png

Funny post. Thanks.

You can talk to your county extension agent, in the phone book under county government, for help in finding out your local rules. This would be my first call. The rules are different in every state and many localities have their own rules and regulations.

You can also call your local government, city or county, and talk to whoever answers the phone. That may be a mayor's secretary, county clerk, who knows. They should be able to direct you to the right people. Don't forget though, that there might be state laws as well as local laws and your local officials may not know the state laws. I can assure you that a local small town farmer's market run by a town elected official does not always follow all the state's laws. Some local officials can be fairly relaxed about those, especially in really small places.

Don't assume about the laws. Find out. It is important. And certainly do not believe anything about what is o ris not allowed from anyone that does not know your local conditions. We don't know because our laws, rules, and regulations are different.

Last edited:
You need to go straight to your Department of Agriculture, skip the extensions those guys are clueless. Not to mention you tell someone from the extensions that you want to process something they go crazy... they don't know the legalities any more then you do.

For Ohio... it's the ODA and they are not that bad to work with.

Brunty, it is a shame your agent is that bad. My extension agent is real good to work with.

I agree my agent usually does not have the answer when I first call him. But he has the contacts to be able to find out and is willing to do the work to find out. Usually he gets somebody who knows to call me back. Some agents are obviously better than others.

Don't entirely depend on your state agency. They will only know state laws. Many local authorities have their own laws or restrictions in addition to the states. And don't depend only on your local authorities. Sometimes they ignore state laws. I can point to how a local town runs their Farmer's Market to prove that.

I'm pretty sure the USDA exemption is for birds you raise yourself, not those raised by someone else, and those are the MINIMUM standards. States can have stricter, but not less strict.

If you didn't raise them yourself and you plan to sell them, they must be processed in a USDA inspected facility.

Well I just made the call to the state meat inspector to get all my questions answered about doing a custom slaughter trailer. I was told to stay under the radar we could only do 1000 birds per customer per year. But the owners of the birds could not resell the meat to stores and stuff like that. There is a form that they could fill out to be able to sell the meat at a farmers market. Not many people around here (vermont) do the custome slaughter. I hope this works out well for us. We will tart out doing chickens, turkeys, ducks and rabbits.......jim

Back
Top Bottom