I don't know if I can do this...

We're proud of you too.

That first step is never easy. I don’t think it's supposed to be. Once I actually slit the throat and the bird stops staring at me reproachfully, it's just a piece of meat. My brain flips over into "meat" mode and the rest is relatively simple.

We slaughtered chickens for meat for the first time this past weekend, and it went OK enough that we don't feel too bad, but there's definitely a learning curve for us to do better with the last 4 roosters next weekend.
Our intention was to slaughter them last October at 3 months of age, using the processing unit for rent from our local county Agricultural Extension, but that fell through when we got the unit home and it was damaged. So we decided to do it the old-fashioned way, bought a giant 8-gallon pot, cut up feed bags to use instead of cones, and sharpened some knives.
The first rooster we did we felt bad - the cleaver we used was not sharp enough and it took a few chops to kill the poor guy. So for our second rooster, the idea was to grab my super sharp Green River kitchen knife, one of us hold it over his neck and the other slam it with a hammer. This worked great, the rooster was dispatched immediately and humanely. The feed bags worked as good as cones, we hung them using coat hangers until they bled out. In the meantime, the 8-gallon pot of water had got to 150 degrees, we dipped the roosters several times until the feathers were easy to remove, and the plucking turned out to be the easiest part of the whole process. The gutting was tricky, fitting our hands in while being careful to not perforate the intestinal tract while pulling it out, took some careful finesse, but we got it done and those two birds wrapped and put on ice.
The next rooster we decided to do like the second which went humanely, but this time, slamming the knife with a hammer dispatched the rooster quickly and humanely, but the knife broke, flipped around, and the broken end took a chunk out of my finger, which bled as much as the poor rooster. For the last rooster, I took the original cleaver, sharpened it as good as I could, and the hammer-slamming method was quick and humane.
To do more quickly and humanely next time, we ordered a sharp hatchet with more weight, so one chop can dispatch the rooster. Also, a better knife to do the gutting more neatly and avoid the intestinal tract.
Hopefully we've learned enough to be able to dispatch them as humanely as possible next time, as well as to butcher them so we end up with safe and healthy meat.

We slaughtered chickens for meat for the first time this past weekend, and it went OK enough that we don't feel too bad, but there's definitely a learning curve for us to do better with the last 4 roosters next weekend.
Our intention was to slaughter them last October at 3 months of age, using the processing unit for rent from our local county Agricultural Extension, but that fell through when we got the unit home and it was damaged. So we decided to do it the old-fashioned way, bought a giant 8-gallon pot, cut up feed bags to use instead of cones, and sharpened some knives.
The first rooster we did we felt bad - the cleaver we used was not sharp enough and it took a few chops to kill the poor guy. So for our second rooster, the idea was to grab my super sharp Green River kitchen knife, one of us hold it over his neck and the other slam it with a hammer. This worked great, the rooster was dispatched immediately and humanely. The feed bags worked as good as cones, we hung them using coat hangers until they bled out. In the meantime, the 8-gallon pot of water had got to 150 degrees, we dipped the roosters several times until the feathers were easy to remove, and the plucking turned out to be the easiest part of the whole process. The gutting was tricky, fitting our hands in while being careful to not perforate the intestinal tract while pulling it out, took some careful finesse, but we got it done and those two birds wrapped and put on ice.
The next rooster we decided to do like the second which went humanely, but this time, slamming the knife with a hammer dispatched the rooster quickly and humanely, but the knife broke, flipped around, and the broken end took a chunk out of my finger, which bled as much as the poor rooster. For the last rooster, I took the original cleaver, sharpened it as good as I could, and the hammer-slamming method was quick and humane.
To do more quickly and humanely next time, we ordered a sharp hatchet with more weight, so one chop can dispatch the rooster. Also, a better knife to do the gutting more neatly and avoid the intestinal tract.
Hopefully we've learned enough to be able to dispatch them as humanely as possible next time, as well as to butcher them so we end up with safe and healthy meat.
Sounds like you got the job done very well, all things considered! There is a learning curve, and next time will probably go a lot smoother. I always recommend cut proof gloves for at least your opposing hand, or those chain-mail gloves they have for keeping you safe in commercial kitchens when slicing meat. When you're getting a new hatchet/knife, get a few of those. And always have a back-up processing method prepared. Hope your hand heals well and quickly!!!

I made a cone out of a cut up kitty litter jug
KIMG0330_01.JPG

and use a PVC pipe cutter to dispatch birds under 2 yrs
Neck bones get harder as they age.
Screenshot_20230906-200458.png

Screenshot_20210310-082936.png

Also age determines cooking methods

Screenshot_20201124-175957~2.png

Resting until rigor mortis has passed, at least a day. Until joints move freely. Older they are the longer it takes.

it took a few chops to kill the poor guy.
What was the neck resting on? You want the blade (whatever you use) to go into the grain of the wood, not across it. If you use a stump, the blade will sink into the wood a bit, going clean through the neck. If you use a 2x12 you are cutting across the grain and the blade can bounce back instead of going all the way through the neck. I learned this the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom