Should I eat this chicken? Advice please

bockerchickens

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2023
Butchered my first chicken, a rooster that needed to go. Used a cone and a pen blade knife I bought on Amazon.

I believe I didn't quite cut deeply enough as it took a little while longer than expected for the poor bird to completely pass (next time, I'll try to strike deeper. I expected the blade to be sharp enough to do most of the work, but it wasn't).

Concern 1: from the picture (1 day post butcher): Did all the blood get out or what are those spots on the chicken that look redish?

Concern 2: I nicked the intestines, it was getting dark, and I ended up smearing some of it on a wing. I cleaned it all out very thoroughly in the post-op.

Concern 3: Something greenish came out of the bottom of the chicken while I was trying to pull out the intestines. That doesn't seem right. What was it, and how do I avoid it in the future? Again, I cleaned out the bird really well afterward with water, etc.

Based on all of the above-will this chicken be safe to eat or, did he die so I can learn what not to do?

I have a second rooster that needs to go as well, so learning for future purposes.

Attachments

• 20231011_094727.jpg
    20231011_094727.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 98
How old was your rooster before processing? Sometimes the older non-CX roos have red on their legs like that. Looks normal to me. When you cook them, the leg meat is very dark and flavorful.

Whether you eat it due to the intestine issue is up to you. I had some of the same questions, and folks told me to just rinse it a heck of a lot and cook thoroughly, and I did, and it turned out fine. But only you know all the details of your processing.

Green could have been you punctured the bile duct (makes the meat bitter if it isn't washed immediately and thoroughly.). Or it could have been intestines.

Sometimes mine leak a bit from the front or rear end, but I haven't yet punctured the intestines where it got on the bird. I've rinsed a lot, and immediately chilled in ice and fridged them and it was fine, but again, it's a judgement call on your part.

If you haven't read the Sticky for this Forum I'd recommend you do that, there's refs to videos and articles with pictures that I found helpful.

This is an awesome thread where folks answered many of my questions about food safety of processed chicken.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-want-to-be-sure-meat-is-safe-to-eat.1566685/

How old was your rooster before processing? Sometimes the older non-CX roos have red on their legs like that. Looks normal to me. When you cook them, the leg meat is very dark and flavorful.

Whether you eat it due to the intestine issue is up to you. I had some of the same questions, and folks told me to just rinse it a heck of a lot and cook thoroughly, and I did, and it turned out fine. But only you know all the details of your processing.

Green could have been you punctured the bile duct (makes the meat bitter if it isn't washed immediately and thoroughly.). Or it could have been intestines.

Sometimes mine leak a bit from the front or rear end, but I haven't yet punctured the intestines where it got on the bird. I've rinsed a lot, and immediately chilled in ice and fridged them and it was fine, but again, it's a judgement call on your part.

If you haven't read the Sticky for this Forum I'd recommend you do that, there's refs to videos and articles with pictures that I found helpful.

This is an awesome thread where folks answered many of my questions about food safety of processed chicken.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-want-to-be-sure-meat-is-safe-to-eat.1566685/
Thanks a lot FunClucks.

The rooster is about 9 months old and it's a blue jersey giant. I did rinse it excessively. Appreciate the link!

Great advice from FunClucks, I have little of value to add. I will link one of my posts - since you are clearly concerned with doing things right, may as welol use the opportunity to get further insight into the health of the rest of your flock.

If the green was bright green and liquid, almost certainly bile. I joke that its "radioactive" (obviously untrue, but you DO DO DO want to wash very thoroughly.) Not breaking that sack comes with practice. As does consistent clean kills.

Give it a long rest in the chill chest. 9 mo old can make a tough old bird. Even with a three day rest, best for stock stew or sausage.

Agree with the rest.

That green stuff was most likely the bile duct being broken. But, if you washed everything well, you should be fine.

And, yes, yes yes. Do not treat the cooking of this cockerel like a normal supermarket chicken. It will both be more flavorful (in a good way, I think) and a LOT tougher. If you have a pressure cooker, that is a good way to go. Otherwise, low and slow, for a few hours.

And, kudos, for getting the job done. The first time isn't easy.

Agree with the rest.

That green stuff was most likely the bile duct being broken. But, if you washed everything well, you should be fine.

And, yes, yes yes. Do not treat the cooking of this cockerel like a normal supermarket chicken. It will both be more flavorful (in a good way, I think) and a LOT tougher. If you have a pressure cooker, that is a good way to go. Otherwise, low and slow, for a few hours.

And, kudos, for getting the job done. The first time isn't easy.
Thanks Morrigan.

Blue Jersey Giants don't mature as fast as other birds-in fact, it takes them about a year and a half to reach full size and about 9 months to reach maturity. I assumed due to this that being a bit older was the right choice. Does that make a difference here? This isn't standard on the maturity scale for your typical breed at 9 months.

I have a pressure cooker, I will use that method for this one. Thanks!

I agree with the others, as long as you washed it thoroughly, it should be fine. I have no clue about the red spots - they don't look like bruising or scar tissue, more like a staph infection or fungus perhaps??? I'd skin that leg, and any other parts where it appears, but that's just me. But if you cook it, any pathogens will be killed so it would be fine anyway.

As for toughness, I expect you'll find him tougher than you think - and not just because of age, but because most breeds (other than Cornish X) have tougher meat in general. I'd definitely chill it in a brine solution for 3-4 days until rigor mortis has passed and the joints move freely, then rinse rinse rinse and either cook it or freeze. As an experiment, you can try cooking a thigh or breast with a typical method (fry, grill, roast, etc) and see how it turns out. If it's unsatisfactory, then throw that piece in the pressure cooker or slow cooker along with the rest of the bird, and done.

As for butchering, there are many methods that people advocate for - but it just comes down to whatever method works best for YOU and makes you comfortable. My methods progressed from first using a hatchet and tree stump, then a machete with a board and bent nails to hold the head steady, cone and sharp knife, cone and PVC cutters, and finally the broomstick method. I've found my method now and don't need to try any others.

Get a good knife sharpener or a better knife, and get that blade razor sharp. It'll be much easier. I put the blade under the bird's chin just below the wattles, while pulling down on the beak, and slice quickly completely severing the head. Then there's no question.

Thanks Morrigan.

Blue Jersey Giants don't mature as fast as other birds-in fact, it takes them about a year and a half to reach full size and about 9 months to reach maturity. I assumed due to this that being a bit older was the right choice. Does that make a difference here? This isn't standard on the maturity scale for your typical breed at 9 months.

I have a pressure cooker, I will use that method for this one. Thanks!
It might be different with a slow maturing breed, but I don't have any first hand experience. Was he crowing and starting to chase pullets yet? It's the testosterone ramping up that tends to make cockerels get tougher more quickly than pullets.

It might be different with a slow maturing breed, but I don't have any first hand experience. Was he crowing and starting to chase pullets yet? It's the testosterone ramping up that tends to make cockerels get tougher more quickly than pullets.
Yeah he had been crowing for about 2 or 3 months (about 6 mo old or so). He and his brothers have been awkwardly mating the hens for a few months as well. They are starting to get better at it at this point.

I'm going to pressure cook it to be on the 'safe side'. Thanks Morrigan!

Back
Top Bottom