Calling all pluckers!!!!!

WhiteCollarWeezy

Positive Chick
Premium Feather Member
Sep 13, 2022
Central Arkansas
I am a 1st time harvester. Our flock had WAY too many roosters. No one in my area wanted to purchase them. They were skinning my hens up and killing all my chicks I released into the yard. Not baby chicks but big enough to roam. I purchased a cone and a chicken plucker online. Sharpened my best knife and started thinning the roosters out. First I feed them about 10am and caught the "chosen 1's" while they ate. I did NOT chase them and put them in a couple of crates in the shade with water and food till around 4pm. I prepared my water for dipping, got the water hose and plugged the plucker in. Then I put them in the cone and sliced their neck. I did NOT chop the head off in the cone. I read you should let them bleed out, not completely remove the head until you have them on a cutting board. Not for the faint of heart I might add. So is 160 degrees a good temp for the dipping water? Is their a certain time of day that is better to begin this process? Any suggestions on cutlery? Can I add something to the dipping water to help soften them? Anything I can do to help them not be soooo stressed before process? Should I remove the limbs or the head 1st, or does it matter? please Keep in mind I am a beginner. Postive advice and suggestions appreciated.

is 160 degrees a good temp for the dipping water?
I skin mine instead of plucking so I'll leave plucking for others.

Is their a certain time of day that is better to begin this process?
Purely depends on you. I like to start early so I'm finished by lunchtime. Others for their own reasons start later. I can't think of anything in the actual process where it makes a difference but I could understand somebody trying to dodge the heat some of us are seeing right now.

Any suggestions on cutlery?
A sharp knife is important. I use a deer skinning knife with replaceable blades so I don't need to stop and sharpen a blade. I also have a pair of poultry shears for the cuts that go through bone or cartilage to help keep the knife sharp.

Anything I can do to help them not be soooo stressed before process?
I use the hatchet and stump method, not the cone and knife. Maybe give them a bit of time to settle in the cone. For mine the main stress is when I first get them and start walking toward the stump. By the time I get there they have calmed down.

Should I remove the limbs or the head 1st, or does it matter?
We all have our own way of butchering. I part mine out, others leave the carcass whole. With this it's just what works for you.

I skin mine instead of plucking so I'll leave plucking for others.

Purely depends on you. I like to start early so I'm finished by lunchtime. Others for their own reasons start later. I can't think of anything in the actual process where it makes a difference but I could understand somebody trying to dodge the heat some of us are seeing right now.

A sharp knife is important. I use a deer skinning knife with replaceable blades so I don't need to stop and sharpen a blade. I also have a pair of poultry shears for the cuts that go through bone or cartilage to help keep the knife sharp.

I use the hatchet and stump method, not the cone and knife. Maybe give them a bit of time to settle in the cone. For mine the main stress is when I first get them and start walking toward the stump. By the time I get there they have calmed down.

We all have our own way of butchering. I part mine out, others leave the carcass whole. With this it's just what works for you.
So tell me about skinning them please? is it like skinning a deer or rabbit? I had no idea poultry shears existed. That would be sooo much easier and like you said won't dull the blade. so whenever you chop the heads does it make a difference in the meat? like toughness wise? ty soooo much

I like to process first thing in the morning. I go into the coop either the night before, or pre-dawn and take the ones I'm going to butcher off the roost and put them into a crate -- I have some old dog kennels, but it could be a ventilated cardboard box. I leave the crate in the coop. At first light, we grab the crates and bring them to our butchering area and do the deed.

I like doing it this way, because it is easy to catch and crate the chickens while they are sleeping. Then all the butchering is done during the cool part of the day and before breakfast. It's not a task I like doing very much, so it's good to have it over with before I really start my day.

As far as plucking, you mentioned you bought a plucker. We hand pluck, so I'm not sure if what I'm doing is applicable to you, but we generally have the water around 155 degrees (5 degree wiggle room each way). After beheading and bleeding out, we give the bird a good few dunks and then pluck. Only after the bird is pretty much defeathered, do we remove the feet and gut.

I like to process first thing in the morning. I go into the coop either the night before, or pre-dawn and take the ones I'm going to butcher off the roost and put them into a crate -- I have some old dog kennels, but it could be a ventilated cardboard box. I leave the crate in the coop. At first light, we grab the crates and bring them to our butchering area and do the deed.

I like doing it this way, because it is easy to catch and crate the chickens while they are sleeping. Then all the butchering is done during the cool part of the day and before breakfast. It's not a task I like doing very much, so it's good to have it over with before I really start my day.

As far as plucking, you mentioned you bought a plucker. We hand pluck, so I'm not sure if what I'm doing is applicable to you, but we generally have the water around 155 degrees (5 degree wiggle room each way). After beheading and bleeding out, we give the bird a good few dunks and then pluck. Only after the bird is pretty much defeathered, do we remove the feet and gut.
Ok...That makes sense... pre dawn. Less stressful..plus have had time to digest any food. Thanks.

We usually scald at about 150 degrees, with a couple drops of Dawn dish soap in the water to loosen up any dirt and poop stuck on the feathers and skin.

Another step that we do that may help you is after scalding, dip the bird in some ice water for maybe 15 seconds. It firms the skin back up so there is less tearing when you pluck.

Cutting off the head or feet first is a personal preference. When we process, we chop the heads off to kill them so it's already off. We pluck, eviscerate, then remove the feet last. But it really doesn't matter much.

If the birds are super dirty, I give them a post-mortem bath before I put them in the scalding water. I hang them by their feet on a tree, put some dish soap on their rear, and wash their entire rear end/legs, breast, etc, then rinse off the soap prior to scalding. Trying to keep the poo and dirt in the scalding water to a minimum to minimize any off flavors in the meat. Others may not have an issue with this, but I seem to.

Folks say to withhold food and water for 24 hrs prior to butchering to keep their intestines cleared out and for easier gutting. It is easier that way, but if you're careful and rinse a lot, it's fine either way.

When you scald, scald the feet as well. Temps as others have described, but I know it's done when one of the pinfeathers comes out easily. Then rinse in cold water or dunk in ice water bath to cool skin for easier plucking. Once plucked, I cut off the feet, and peel off the outer layer of skin and pop off the outer casing of the toenails. Feet are excellent for making stock, and for dog treats, etc. Peeling them is easy if you get a good scald on the bird. You can peel the skin and beak cover off the head as well and pluck it and add it to make stock with also, but I'm squeamish so I just discard it.

Skinning is easy to do if you don't particularly want the skin and saves time when processing (for me, cause I pluck by hand). Hang bird on tree by feet using wire. Cut around where the feathers turn into the scales on the legs, just below the joint. make a slice down the outer leg and pull the skin away from the leg. Work the skin away, leaving a bit around the vent. Should come off like a glove. If you look around on here, there's some good instructions.

Good luck! Hope all goes well.

So tell me about skinning them please? is it like skinning a deer or rabbit?
The way I skin is similar to how I do a rabbit though there are some differences. I use the hatchet and stump method so the head is already gone with the chicken, that's different. First thing I do is cut off the feet. Then I lay it on a table and make a cut across the belly so I can get my fingers in and start tearing the skin off. It will rip into pieces.

The hardest part is the wings. I often have to slice the skin to get it to tear off. I use a knife to sort of cut under where the wing feathers are to get that to start tearing off. The wing is in three parts, the tip I cut off and throw away. I'm not always sure the second wing section is worth the effort either but I use that in broth.

If you don't cut the feet off first the skin can bunch when you are trying to pull it off. You will likely need to slice it to be able to peel it. You may need to anyway.

The other occasional hard part with an older cockerel is the small of the back. For some reason that area can sometimes be hard to peel off with the older ones but usually not.

The hormones of puberty cause connective tissue to form that help hold the skin on. An old rooster is pretty hard to skin, I use a sharp knife to cut some connective tissue. I usually notice this around 5-1/2 months or older for cockerels. With younger cockerels, hens, and pullets this isn't a problem, I find that other than the wings the skin peels off pretty easily.

Like a rabbit I do not gut them until they are skinned.

so whenever you chop the heads does it make a difference in the meat? like toughness wise?
I don't recall anybody claiming there is a difference in toughness. Some say they don't bleed out as well if you cut the head off instead of hanging them and slicing the throat which can affect the taste. My palate is not that delicate, I don't notice a difference.

Are you hunting the rabbit or deer or rising them to butcher or do you hunt them? Do you notice that much different if you can't immediately get to them to bleed them out before their heart quits beating? I know you want to bleed a deer out but I'm not going to toss the meat if I don't bleed it well.

For toughness, it depends on how old the rooster is, how long you let it rest so rigor can pass, and how you cook the meat. Cooking method is important. Low heat, long cook time or pressure cooking is best for old roosters (year or more). Let the meat rest until rigor passes after slaughter (1-3 days or more, when the joints move easily, rigor is over). You can let it rest in the fridge until rigor passes, and then freeze/cook it, or you can freeze immediately as long as you let it sit in the fridge after thawing until rigor passes before cooking it. I've had a year old rooster take 5 days for rigor to pass, and it cooked up fine in a pressure cooker, with some awesome broth for soup.

There are lots of recommendations on here for what age is best to butcher at if you want tender meat and to cook it a certain way.

The way I skin is similar to how I do a rabbit though there are some differences. I use the hatchet and stump method so the head is already gone with the chicken, that's different. First thing I do is cut off the feet. Then I lay it on a table and make a cut across the belly so I can get my fingers in and start tearing the skin off. It will rip into pieces.

The hardest part is the wings. I often have to slice the skin to get it to tear off. I use a knife to sort of cut under where the wing feathers are to get that to start tearing off. The wing is in three parts, the tip I cut off and throw away. I'm not always sure the second wing section is worth the effort either but I use that in broth.

If you don't cut the feet off first the skin can bunch when you are trying to pull it off. You will likely need to slice it to be able to peel it. You may need to anyway.

The other occasional hard part with an older cockerel is the small of the back. For some reason that area can sometimes be hard to peel off with the older ones but usually not.

The hormones of puberty cause connective tissue to form that help hold the skin on. An old rooster is pretty hard to skin, I use a sharp knife to cut some connective tissue. I usually notice this around 5-1/2 months or older for cockerels. With younger cockerels, hens, and pullets this isn't a problem, I find that other than the wings the skin peels off pretty easily.

Like a rabbit I do not gut them until they are skinned.

I don't recall anybody claiming there is a difference in toughness. Some say they don't bleed out as well if you cut the head off instead of hanging them and slicing the throat which can affect the taste. My palate is not that delicate, I don't notice a difference.

Are you hunting the rabbit or deer or rising them to butcher or do you hunt them? Do you notice that much different if you can't immediately get to them to bleed them out before their heart quits beating? I know you want to bleed a deer out but I'm not going to toss the meat if I don't bleed it well.
I've skinned a deer once in my life. Watched my father skin lots of rabbits when I was a child. We had rabbit stew ALOT. Ty again. I'm leaning toward the stump and hatchet method for next time. It's a sure thing they are no longer alive.

Back
Top Bottom