Is the broomstick method as foolproof as it seems?

Pics
Jun 9, 2023
I've been watching a lot of videos on this method and I think I can do this. I've never killed an animal. Usually I try to save animals but why buy those tortured store chickens when I can raise my own humanely? I don't like supporting that system of abuse.

Does this broomstick method really work first try for the person that has never done this? I'm trying to gauge how hard I will need to pull the legs once I step on the stick. I actually prefer if the head comes off so I know the bird is dead immediately. That will be best case scenario for me. Maybe I should pull very hard. Lucky my neighbor has eaten many chickens he raised himself and is more than happy to help me with this process. He doesn't do the broomstick but he's tried to break the neck and says he's got about 50% failure rate- prefers the ax to get it done fast.

I don't think I have it in me to take a sharp object to the bird and either cut it or ax off the head. Too many ways to mess that up and cause painful injury.

I use a cut up Kitty litter jug
KIMG0330_01~2.JPG

and a PVC cutter
Screenshot_20230906-200458.png

I use a cut up Kitty litter jug
View attachment 3642865
and a PVC cutter
View attachment 3642863
Yes I've seen your posts. It's the bird upside down thing. I think it may stress the bird more. I felt by watching the videos that the least stressful was laying on the ground and just a quick break of the neck. Some of these people using this method are amazing. They are fast and smooth. Their birds didn't suffer for more than 1 second.

I don't like the upside down bird thing. Don't like the cones. Don't like letting it bleed out alive. Too long and too much possible stress on the bird... At least watching these videos that's my opinion.

Actually the best videos I have seen are a few different ones of men holding the bird and the bird was relaxed... And bam!! He snaps the neck so fast the bird had no clue. Some people are so talented.

It's the bird upside down thing. I think it may stress the bird more.
It actually calms them.
Actually the best videos I have seen are a few different ones of men holding the bird and the bird was relaxed... And bam!! He snaps the neck so fast the bird had no clue. Some people are so talented.
I saw a video of an elder lady (while walking) hang the bird upside down then go for and snap the neck. Never missed a step.

I use my own version of a “hopper popper” / cervical dislocator for my rabbits, ducks, and turkeys.

I made my own based on this product
https://theoriginalhopperpopper.com/Hopper_Popper/

I am not a metal worker. Used a simple propane torch, a vise, a hammer, and a 1/4” x 3’ cold rolled steel rod from Lowe’s and worked it until I was happy w the shape. Built a simple frame and attached to a shed.

I’ve never had a missed dispatch. I only have a bit of upper neck that I may need to cut away due to bruising.

It is absolutely stress free for them.
It is also very fast, they don’t see it coming at all.

I’d use cones if this didn’t work so well. But I don’t like the idea of dumping them upside down into a cone and finishing w a knife :/ my method allows me to carry them to the “tool”, they are super calm, head goes into the “v”, one hand under the chin/beak, the other on both hind legs, mean it when you pull- and they are gone in a moment.

Not my favorite day for sure. But no one sees it coming.... no stress for the critters. I don’t process often- but do when I need to. Maybe someone who does it more often will have a better idea-

I use my own version of a “hopper popper” / cervical dislocator for my rabbits, ducks, and turkeys.

I made my own based on this product
https://theoriginalhopperpopper.com/Hopper_Popper/

I am not a metal worker. Used a simple propane torch, a vise, a hammer, and a 1/4” x 3’ cold rolled steel rod from Lowe’s and worked it until I was happy w the shape. Built a simple frame and attached to a shed.

I’ve never had a missed dispatch. I only have a bit of upper neck that I may need to cut away due to bruising.

It is absolutely stress free for them.
It is also very fast, they don’t see it coming at all.

I’d use cones if this didn’t work so well. But I don’t like the idea of dumping them upside down into a cone and finishing w a knife :/ my method allows me to carry them to the “tool”, they are super calm, head goes into the “v”, one hand under the chin/beak, the other on both hind legs, mean it when you pull- and they are gone in a moment.

Not my favorite day for sure. But no one sees it coming.... no stress for the critters. I don’t process often- but do when I need to. Maybe someone who does it more often will have a better idea-
Kinda a mounted broomstick?

Not really...
This one was my proto type
I’ve cleaned up my frame and rod since this pic but it gives you the idea
You can also look up hopper popper on YouTube if you would like

Attachments

• E6BD80D4-092F-4DF1-890A-459921359993.jpeg
    E6BD80D4-092F-4DF1-890A-459921359993.jpeg
    556 KB · Views: 51

Back
Top Bottom