Is the broomstick method as foolproof as it seems?

I use my own version of a “hopper popper” / cervical dislocator for my rabbits, ducks, and turkeys.

I made my own based on this product
https://theoriginalhopperpopper.com/Hopper_Popper/

I am not a metal worker. Used a simple propane torch, a vise, a hammer, and a 1/4” x 3’ cold rolled steel rod from Lowe’s and worked it until I was happy w the shape. Built a simple frame and attached to a shed.

I’ve never had a missed dispatch. I only have a bit of upper neck that I may need to cut away due to bruising.

It is absolutely stress free for them.
It is also very fast, they don’t see it coming at all.

I’d use cones if this didn’t work so well. But I don’t like the idea of dumping them upside down into a cone and finishing w a knife :/ my method allows me to carry them to the “tool”, they are super calm, head goes into the “v”, one hand under the chin/beak, the other on both hind legs, mean it when you pull- and they are gone in a moment.

Not my favorite day for sure. But no one sees it coming.... no stress for the critters. I don’t process often- but do when I need to. Maybe someone who does it more often will have a better idea-
I saw a number of videos of the hopper popper being used. This little device is one of the best inventions yet for an instant humane kill. I saw chicken and rabbit being killed with it. I saw a woman do that with a rooster and it seemed he went so fast there was like maybe a half second of pain for him if that.
I have a lot of respect for people that can make a nearly stress free instant kill.

As for how easy it is the first time, my review is 2 out of 5 stars. I'm confident it could become 4-5 stars with practice.
Note: I've previously failed with other methods rather spectacularly (resulting in surgery).

This last week we had to put a rooster down as a mercy. We tried medication first, as there was a nurse posting here once about it and we thought the pain-relieving aspect would be beneficial for the poor boy. And we weren't going to eat him.
10 tramadol's and 6 hydrocodone later (over the course of an afternoon) and he was exactly the same.
So, we get the broom, did a last minute review of you.tube videos we've watched before, read some more posts here from the more experienced members, and went out to get him done one way or another. Mom sharpened one of her good knives as a backup option after I fussed about the nightmare scenario of not getting it done the first try, and the threads on here about what went wrong.

Yup. It still went wrong.
After a full minute of flapping, Mom is trying to tell me "He's dead. I swear to you, he's dead hun, stop worrying!" but his eyelids were opening and closing, and his beak, and he would stop flapping only to start again. Finally, she believes me that the job isn't done, so we repeat the procedure with me repeating all the advice I read about stretching the neck first, etc.
I still wasn't convinced he was dead. It just kept going on & on. So, I insisted we cut his head off. But of course, the proven chefs knife, Moms very favorite knife... still not sharp enough. Finally, with some loppers, we got his head off.

I don't even mind the idea of killing a chicken, as long as their lives and their ends are decent. Why does it have to be so dang difficult?
I swear I'm going to build a nitrogen or helium mini gas chamber when I have all the supplies collected. The worst that could happen if something goes wrong is they wake from sleep and need more gas, or start giggling...

How is the thumb?

Imagine the crow with helium. lol

Sorry, OP. I'll stop now.

Mickey Mouse Crowing 🤣

Personally, I appreciate the gallows humor...

My thumb is pretty good after graduating physical therapy, thank you for asking. It straightens all the way and bends almost all the way, but can be a bit stiff. I still complete some finicky tasks with my left hand instead. Really nothing to complain about and I thank God for health insurance covering it 🥰
Only, I am NOT going anywhere near an axe, never ever. And there went my fascination with watching Forged in Fire.

As for how easy it is the first time, my review is 2 out of 5 stars. I'm confident it could become 4-5 stars with practice.
Note: I've previously failed with other methods rather spectacularly (resulting in surgery).

This last week we had to put a rooster down as a mercy. We tried medication first, as there was a nurse posting here once about it and we thought the pain-relieving aspect would be beneficial for the poor boy. And we weren't going to eat him.
10 tramadol's and 6 hydrocodone later (over the course of an afternoon) and he was exactly the same.
So, we get the broom, did a last minute review of you.tube videos we've watched before, read some more posts here from the more experienced members, and went out to get him done one way or another. Mom sharpened one of her good knives as a backup option after I fussed about the nightmare scenario of not getting it done the first try, and the threads on here about what went wrong.

Yup. It still went wrong.
After a full minute of flapping, Mom is trying to tell me "He's dead. I swear to you, he's dead hun, stop worrying!" but his eyelids were opening and closing, and his beak, and he would stop flapping only to start again. Finally, she believes me that the job isn't done, so we repeat the procedure with me repeating all the advice I read about stretching the neck first, etc.
I still wasn't convinced he was dead. It just kept going on & on. So, I insisted we cut his head off. But of course, the proven chefs knife, Moms very favorite knife... still not sharp enough. Finally, with some loppers, we got his head off.

I don't even mind the idea of killing a chicken, as long as their lives and their ends are decent. Why does it have to be so dang difficult?
I swear I'm going to build a nitrogen or helium mini gas chamber when I have all the supplies collected. The worst that could happen if something goes wrong is they wake from sleep and need more gas, or start giggling...
Wow. So basically if you have no practice it's going to go wrong likely? Lucky my neighbor will be right there to finish the job if I mess up. That sounds horrible.

If you do the broomstick method I recommend having someone (your neighbour?) to help you. You can hold the bird upside down until it goes droopy. Then lay it on a flat surface and your helper can cover the eyes and hold the neck/body in the proper place under the broom. Then you step to apply the pressure and pull. Practise the movement several times on a stuffed animal first.

If you do the broomstick method I recommend having someone (your neighbour?) to help you. You can hold the bird upside down until it goes droopy. Then lay it on a flat surface and your helper can cover the eyes and hold the neck/body in the proper place under the broom. Then you step to apply the pressure and pull. Practise the movement several times on a stuffed animal first.
The stick goes right behind the skull right? Like lay it against the back of the skull? Then pull straight up? Stretch the neck first and then pull hard? Or just grab the legs and pull hard the whole time?

The stick goes right behind the skull right? Like lay it against the back of the skull? Then pull straight up? Stretch the neck first and then pull hard? Or just grab the legs and pull hard the whole time?

Yeah so as far as I know the stick goes against the back of the neck, just under the head. If you do it on the earth then you can make a groove so the bird doesn’t choke under the pressure. Pull the legs up and forward with several sharp jerks at the end. Some birds will flap more than others.

Back
Top Bottom