Is the broomstick method as foolproof as it seems?

Well we finally did a rooster. The beta rooster(cockerel). The alpha is a very good flock leader so he will remain as so. The beta rooster has been starting to go after me a bit for picking up a hen. I've tried to push him away but he's giving me that look. We decided it was time. We've been trying to find him a home but no luck. Very hard to rehome boys. He was actually 6 months old. I will indeed miss him but I'd rather take him out before he attacks me.

I did the broomstick method. I held his feet and laid him down gently. My husband stepped on the stick and I stepped on the other side. I pulled his legs up immediately and with a steady pull- no jerking. I felt the neck pop and he started flapping right away. His head was almost off and my husband had the ax in hand just in case. He cut the head off as soon as the flapping started- just to be sure. I'm confident Teddy was gone as soon as the flapping started. I don't feel that he suffered. My husband says the same. He thinks we acted quickly and with as minimal of pain as possible.

He's in my fridge now just chilling. I left the plastic bag open just a tiny bit to let air transfer. I know to let him sit in fridge for 2-3 days before we cook him. We tried to be as clean as possible but I can't help but worry about getting sick. My husband did knick the crop and it spilled out. I rinsed it well with cold water many times in the process.
Crop juices are fine washed out
Intestine nicks need to be washed better.
Green Bile sack can give a bad flavor and needs to be washed ASAP.
Cooking kills bacteria

Cooking method by age
I usually roast low and slow or pressure cooker
Screenshot_20230620-171433.png

Crop juices are fine washed out
Intestine nicks need to be washed better.
Green Bile sack can give a bad flavor and needs to be washed ASAP.
Cooking kills bacteria
This is right on. Most of the bad bugs in meat and eggs come from the factory anyway, animals stacked on eachother, standing in feces and carcasses, medications, improper and careless slaughter and handling. There is none of that here and fresh is best. The fridge time is to let rigor pass, since there is a chance cooking during rigor can cause toughness and uneven circulation of heat during cooking (allegedly), I’m sure it’ll taste like an achievement.
Once I read about how and why FFOs do what they do, eating meat at all loses its appeal. But then you’re also screwed by trying to eat salads watered with the E.coli poo-water. That’s why homegrown and fresh is best.
I’m glad it went smoothly and you’re working towards the overall wellbeing of you and the flock.

This is right on. Most of the bad bugs in meat and eggs come from the factory anyway, animals stacked on eachother, standing in feces and carcasses, medications, improper and careless slaughter and handling. There is none of that here and fresh is best. The fridge time is to let rigor pass, since there is a chance cooking during rigor can cause toughness and uneven circulation of heat during cooking (allegedly), I’m sure it’ll taste like an achievement.
Once I read about how and why FFOs do what they do, eating meat at all loses its appeal. But then you’re also screwed by trying to eat salads watered with the E.coli poo-water. That’s why homegrown and fresh is best.
I’m glad it went smoothly and you’re working towards the overall wellbeing of you and the flock.
Oh and I had another question. There was a lot of yellow fat towards the bottom end of him. What causes so much fat or is that normal for a 6 month cockerel? He's brown leghorn if breed makes a difference.

I’m not as familiar with chickens, but it’s possible that that breed/strain develops that way and likely due to what you’re feeding plus stocking up on winter calories.
Are you roasting skin on? That fat will melt eventually but bastes as it melts so should be a good thing for roasting. My dad loves the tail, but with turkeys I end up cutting all that off - not worth trying to pluck the entire fan lol.
My tom I let get to room temp (he was never frozen, only fridge cold). Sprinkled the outside and what fell inside with Krazy Salt. Roasted on a sprayed rack in a pan at 375 for an hour, then tented breast area with foil, turned down to 350, poured white wine in the bottom of the pan and put him back in rotated for another 2 hours. It probably didn’t take that long, but I didn’t want to be opening the oven to check. Temp in the joint needs to be 145-170 depending on the sources and juices need to be completely clear. Leave the foil on and rest for 15-30 minutes depending on bird size so juices redistribute and voilá amazing homegrown food. Did you keep the giblets? I didn’t think I was a fan, but gravy made with those was great. Quick gravy recipe: boil the neck, heart, liver and cleaned crop with basic seasonings (salt, bay leaf, etc) to make a broth. Strain out everything (throw neck away since cooked bones are dangerous, feed the rest to dog/cat). With the drippings and wine from bird in a pan, heat it and add flour, whisking so no lumps until you have a brown roux (if it gets too dark, you have the basis for gumbo but too far for gravy). Add the warmed or hot broth to desired thickness. 👌🏻

I’m not as familiar with chickens, but it’s possible that that breed/strain develops that way and likely due to what you’re feeding plus stocking up on winter calories.
Are you roasting skin on? That fat will melt eventually but bastes as it melts so should be a good thing for roasting. My dad loves the tail, but with turkeys I end up cutting all that off - not worth trying to pluck the entire fan lol.
My tom I let get to room temp (he was never frozen, only fridge cold). Sprinkled the outside and what fell inside with Krazy Salt. Roasted on a sprayed rack in a pan at 375 for an hour, then tented breast area with foil, turned down to 350, poured white wine in the bottom of the pan and put him back in rotated for another 2 hours. It probably didn’t take that long, but I didn’t want to be opening the oven to check. Temp in the joint needs to be 145-170 depending on the sources and juices need to be completely clear. Leave the foil on and rest for 15-30 minutes depending on bird size so juices redistribute and voilá amazing homegrown food. Did you keep the giblets? I didn’t think I was a fan, but gravy made with those was great. Quick gravy recipe: boil the neck, heart, liver and cleaned crop with basic seasonings (salt, bay leaf, etc) to make a broth. Strain out everything (throw neck away since cooked bones are dangerous, feed the rest to dog/cat). With the drippings and wine from bird in a pan, heat it and add flour, whisking so no lumps until you have a brown roux (if it gets too dark, you have the basis for gumbo but too far for gravy). Add the warmed or hot broth to desired thickness. 👌🏻
Yes we are eating the skin. I love chicken skin..we kind of ripped the skin pulling out feathers unfortunately. It looks a bit mangled but it will still taste good. We are going to eat him maybe this week but is it safe to let him sit in the fridge until Saturday? Is that too many days? I would prefer to roast him on the weekend since I don't have to rush after work.

We didn't keep the giblets because this is the first time I've done this and trying to pull out all the insides and such was a little overwhelming. I felt better to just work on the meat part and toss the insides. By the next few cockerels I will have more experience to do the organs. The big concern was NOT to tear any organs but just remove gently everything inside.

We have a better idea about this for next time now.

Yes we are eating the skin. I love chicken skin..we kind of ripped the skin pulling out feathers unfortunately. It looks a bit mangled but it will still taste good. We are going to eat him maybe this week but is it safe to let him sit in the fridge until Saturday? Is that too many days? I would prefer to roast him on the weekend since I don't have to rush after work.

We didn't keep the giblets because this is the first time I've done this and trying to pull out all the insides and such was a little overwhelming. I felt better to just work on the meat part and toss the insides. By the next few cockerels I will have more experience to do the organs. The big concern was NOT to tear any organs but just remove gently everything inside.

We have a better idea about this for next time now.
A week to 10 days from slaughter to use or freeze.

M
I've been watching a lot of videos on this method and I think I can do this. I've never killed an animal. Usually I try to save animals but why buy those tortured store chickens when I can raise my own humanely? I don't like supporting that system of abuse.

Does this broomstick method really work first try for the person that has never done this? I'm trying to gauge how hard I will need to pull the legs once I step on the stick. I actually prefer if the head comes off so I know the bird is dead immediately. That will be best case scenario for me. Maybe I should pull very hard. Lucky my neighbor has eaten many chickens he raised himself and is more than happy to help me with this process. He doesn't do the broomstick but he's tried to break the neck and says he's got about 50% failure rate- prefers the ax to get it done fast.

I don't think I have it in me to take a sharp object to the bird and either cut it or ax off the head. Too many ways to mess that up and cause painful injury.
If you lay the chicken on a solid level surface it will prevent it slipping out from underneath the broom handle as you lift up. I prefer to kill them before I ever take a knife to them .

Back
Top Bottom