Selling Turkeys for Thanksgiving

I met a farmer earlier this year who sells his turkeys he buchers.

he said you have to sell them preordered before butchering to not have to be USDA certified.

i don't know about other states, but this sounds kinda 'federal' rather than 'state' controlled.

There are federal laws which apply to all states, and there are state laws which can be stricter than federal if the state chooses.

What you are describing sounds like custom processing, where the individual basically buys the animal alive and has it processed. In most states, the meat has to be labeled 'not for sale'. In a lot of cases, those processing facilities still have to be inspected, just not as often.

I would just like to encourage anyone selling processed poultry to know what the laws are and make an informed decision on if you want to do it.

Quote:
This is the same way people get around the USDA in Texas. I know a guy who sells goats at auction every week and after they are paid for, he will process them for the buyer.

Looking for a local processor? You might want to check with your local Ag Extension Office (4H) they usually keep a list of local processors for their small animal buyers.

I didn't sell mine for enough - but I had one Spanish Tom and one Blue Tome dress out at 18 pounds each (they were beautiful birds), and my hens weighed about 10.

I am a little off topic but a local supermarket had turkeys on sale for 79c per pound. How can anyone make a profit on that?
My wife thinks I am crazy for buying a trio of Royal Palms for $100. What can I tell her?

Tell her what I told my wife....

"You knew I was crazy when you married me... nothing's changed!!"

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
Our local health food store sells turkeys for $3.75lb. Hubby didn't want me to get any turkeys until I sold them. He told me to order more of them next year.

I had BBB and the average weight was 18.3lbs at $4lb processed. Sold 33, gave 15 away as gifts and to a couple shelters to feed the homeless..

And a local farmer around me I know sells his hertiage for $7.50lb dressed. They normally average around 15lbs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom