Separate after hatching or no?

Derek712

Chirping
Aug 20, 2022
So a couple weeks ago we had an unfortunate raccoon attack and we lost our male duck. This left us with a single female duck and about 8 chickens. Because the male duck was too aggressive with the chickens, we separated them, but now the female duck is penned up with the chickens and happy enough. The only weird thing about the situation is she's EXTREMELY loud when she sees or hears any human near by. About three long honks every time she hears the porch door open. It's super annoying and I can only guess that it's because she's lonely as can be.

Luckily her last egg that she layed was fertile and she hasn't laid since her partner died. We were hoping for a pair but just got the single. We also have a couple broody silkies that are doing a great job with the egg. One week to go until it hatches.

My question to you all is what do I do once it hatches? I'm sure the silkies will be nice, but I worry about my cranky old hen and even the duck. Should I separate it right off the bat and reintegrate it later or do you think there's a chance they'll be nice to it. It's a tricky situation because I can't imagine the duckling being alone in a brooder all by itself. I do have four 2-week old chicks in a brooder right now, so perhaps I could integrate the duckling there? Any thoughts?

I'd separate the silkie and let her care for the duckling. You cannot depend on the others to be nice and they can even kill the duckling. My Orpington hatched a duckling a few year ago and my Muscovy hatched a duckling at the same time. They had other eggs but they didn't make it so both had a single I gave the duckling to the muscovy who had one so the 2 ducklings would have each other. Broke my heart to take that duckling from my chicken hen she stayed as close as she could for a few days but finally gave up because the 2 ducklings bonded right away. I made a space inside the coop with scrap lattice with hardware cloth covering it so mama ducks and ducklings would be safe from the rest and then in the mornings after everyone was let out for the day mama and ducklings got the run of the coop for the day. After 1st week mama and ducklings got to come outside in a secure area where everyone could see them but no one was able to get to the ducklings at 3 weeks old mama and ducklings were out with the flock and no one messed with the ducklings. It's always so nice to let mama introduce her babies to the rest of the flock they accept them so much better.
I would not put a newly hatched duckling with 2 week old chicks too big of an age difference.

I'd separate the silkie and let her care for the duckling. You cannot depend on the others to be nice and they can even kill the duckling. My Orpington hatched a duckling a few year ago and my Muscovy hatched a duckling at the same time. They had other eggs but they didn't make it so both had a single I gave the duckling to the muscovy who had one so the 2 ducklings would have each other. Broke my heart to take that duckling from my chicken hen she stayed as close as she could for a few days but finally gave up because the 2 ducklings bonded right away. I made a space inside the coop with scrap lattice with hardware cloth covering it so mama ducks and ducklings would be safe from the rest and then in the mornings after everyone was let out for the day mama and ducklings got the run of the coop for the day. After 1st week mama and ducklings got to come outside in a secure area where everyone could see them but no one was able to get to the ducklings at 3 weeks old mama and ducklings were out with the flock and no one messed with the ducklings. It's always so nicer to let mama introduce her babies to the rest of the flock they accept them so much better.
I would not put a newly hatched duckling with 2 week old chicks too big of an age difference.
Ok, that sounds like a good idea. Coincidentally, I already have a special space inside the coop because my adopted feral chicken wasn't playing nice with one of the silkies at one point. Things have been great for 3-4 months so I can easily relocate them after the duckling hatches.

Thing is, two of the silkies are sitting on the egg. Will they both want to mother it when it hatches? One was on it the first two weeks and the other just started a week ago. I've learned that there's nothing stopping these hens from sitting all day so I just leave them be. My other chickens never get like these silkies do lol. I guess it's a good thing though because otherwise nobody would be sitting on the egg.

Believe me I do know about broodies I have Muscovy and cochin bantams and orpingtons and a cochin bantam right now that won't give up even though she hasn't an egg under her. A few years back I had 2 hens share a nest when the chicks hatched one mama took the lead the other was like the aunt it was very sweet. So you'll just have to make sure they stay nice and don't fight over the duckling. your other option would be to take the one silkie out that hasn't been sitting as long.

Last edited:
Believe me I do know about broodies I have Muscovy and cochin bantams and orpingtons and a cochin bantam right now that won't give up even though she hasn't an egg under her. A few years back I had 2 hens share a nest when the chicks hatched one mama took the lead the other was like the aunt it was very sweet. So you'll just have to make sure they stay nice and don't fight over the duckling. your other option would be to take the one silkie out that hasn't been sitting as long.
Well it hatched yesterday! Looks like we got two mothers. Or three if you count the duck that laid the egg lol.

I separated both into a new area adjacent to the main coop. Should suffice for now. Thanks for the advice.

1668253823559.png

Back
Top Bottom