Separating Ducklings from Mom

Emily_VVV

Chirping
May 6, 2018
Palmdale, CA
Hi all, so I just walked outside and found one of my brooding ducks walking around with 11 ducklings

We knew her nest was large and we also have another brooding duck with a large nest. Needless to say, we need to sell some of these ducklings.

That being said, I've never taken babies away from their mom before and I don't want to traumatize her or something. Is there a certain way I should go about separating them?

Should I do it now (we will leave her with two or three at least)? Should I wait until they're a bit bigger?

Note: we aren't going to sell them right away, they need to grow up a bit. But if it's less stressful to separate them from Mom now rather than later, then we will do that.

If you want to take care of all of them then you can remove them now i'm not sure how it will effect her though. It is much easier to let the mom raise them she will take care of them and will do everything needed. The only thing you will really have to make sure is that the drake is away form them. the two mothers will happily raise there young together if you want to have their own separate pen for them together. Either way will work, it just depends on how much work you want to put into them.

If you want to take care of all of them then you can remove them now i'm not sure how it will effect her though. It is much easier to let the mom raise them she will take care of them and will do everything needed. The only thing you will really have to make sure is that the drake is away form them. the two mothers will happily raise there young together if you want to have their own separate pen for them together. Either way will work, it just depends on how much work you want to put into them.

Thank you! Right now they are inside (mom too) in a makeshift pen because we have no coverage on our two acre lot and crows/Ravens already attacked her nest. I'm sure Mom is going to need to go outside soon so we are prepared to do whatever we need to for the ducklings once she is separate.

Back
Top Bottom