Separation Anxiety

Spartyfan17

Chirping
May 13, 2018
Paw Paw, Mi
So we finally got our coop finished and last night we put our girls in there and now I am constantly worried about them :hitI'm not worried they will be attacked or anything just that they are scared and lonely lol...Has anyone else felt this? Also how long should I let them acclimate to their coop before letting them into the run or free ranging? I just worry about them...

YES!!! I was a mess the first time I put my dear, sweet helpless little chickadees outside and my husband literally had to physically restrain me from checking on them every 15 minutes. But the next day they all came popping out happy as ever... as long as they have food, water, and adequate shelter they will naturally do their thing and roost through the night. Now I’m on my second batch of babies and I was more worried about the big ones picking on the little ones in the wee hours of the morning before I opened the door (they’re perfectly fine...) and I don’t know where you’re located, but with it being summer here in North Carolina I didn’t have to worry about them being too cold or anything.
It’s Natural to be concerned, especially since they’ve been inside and coddled like babies for weeks. But remember that they are chickens and they are happiest being outside

YES!!! I was a mess the first time I put my dear, sweet helpless little chickadees outside and my husband literally had to physically restrain me from checking on them every 15 minutes. But the next day they all came popping out happy as ever... as long as they have food, water, and adequate shelter they will naturally do their thing and roost through the night. Now I’m on my second batch of babies and I was more worried about the big ones picking on the little ones in the wee hours of the morning before I opened the door (they’re perfectly fine...) and I don’t know where you’re located, but with it being summer here in North Carolina I didn’t have to worry about them being too cold or anything.
It’s Natural to be concerned, especially since they’ve been inside and coddled like babies for weeks. But remember that they are chickens and they are happiest being outside

As long as I am not the only one! We are in Michigan, and its decent right now. I know they will be ok I just want them to be content. They haven't started using their roosts yet but I think once they will get more acclimated to their new home they will start being more natural. :)

No you aren't the only one! Lots of us get "empty nest syndrome". :lol: I am always a bit concerned on that first night they spend out in the coop. The house feels empty, chicks are no longer in my sight, poor babies might be scared. :(

But you can definitely make it easier on them by taking them out for field trips to the coop long before they are ready to move out there permanently. I start them early as chicks, we go outside in a safe place, (never leave them unattended) they get to wander around for 15 mins or so, we stop by the coop and I let them explore their future home for a bit. These techniques will definitely ease their stress when they finally do make that transition from kitchen counter to coop! :lol: Although it still doesn't ease our pain of allowing our babies to leave home. :( Lots of us feel your pain. :hugs It passes quickly however. :)

No you aren't the only one! Lots of us get "empty nest syndrome". :lol: I am always a bit concerned on that first night they spend out in the coop. The house feels empty, chicks are no longer in my sight, poor babies might be scared. :(

But you can definitely make it easier on them by taking them out for field trips to the coop long before they are ready to move out there permanently. I start them early as chicks, we go outside in a safe place, (never leave them unattended) they get to wander around for 15 mins or so, we stop by the coop and I let them explore their future home for a bit. These techniques will definitely ease their stress when they finally do make that transition from kitchen counter to coop! :lol: Although it still doesn't ease our pain of allowing our babies to leave home. :( Lots of us feel your pain. :hugs It passes quickly however. :)

thanks! :) i brought them out a few times before putting them into their coop, this morning they seemed content but i think it's more the lack of chirping when I come around. I'm pretty sure I'm taking it harder than they are lol

thanks! :) i brought them out a few times before putting them into their coop, this morning they seemed content but i think it's more the lack of chirping when I come around. I'm pretty sure I'm taking it harder than they are lol

Oh definitely, we suffer more than they do! They adapt quickly. As for us, thats what chocolate cake is for. :lol:

I prefer a pint of ice cream. I recall when my son started kindergarton. He had his backpack and stuff, I was tearing up - but, he hopped on the bus and never looked back. That made me cry a lot harder. He didn't even say goodbye.

Neither do little chicks.

Back
Top Bottom