serama cross

Akane

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
I ordered a mix of bantam eggs from someone but all their chickens went into molt except the seramas kept indoors so they sent me lots and lots and lots of serama eggs. Out of those that hatched I got this weird feathered serama. At first I thought it was just getting dirty and breaking it's feathers. Then I remembered the person was also working on creating silkie and frizzled seramas by crossing them with their other bantams. So what is this fuzzy thing?

SANY1935.jpg

SANY1937.jpg

Why would I panic? Aside from the fact I don't like silkie and frizzle type feathering so I will probably sell it. It's a roo anyway and I already have 2 adult serama roos and 3 more serama roo chicks.

So the gene for the feathering is a natural mutation within the serama breed? Otherwise at some point they would have to have been crossed with another breed that already had the silkie feathering.

I know this thread is a little old but I just found it. About 3-4 wks ago I also had some Seramas hatch. When they started feathering out, I had one with the same type feathering. I'm thinking I'm going to have to completely start over because somehow one of them is mixed. I'm THRILLED to find out that it's a natural happening. Do you breed these kids or not? I'm assuming(dangerous I know) they are more likely to throw the gene again?? I'll keep it regardless, it's just too neat looking. Just very curious, and VERY relieved!!!! Thanks to the OP for asking this question or I would never have known.

Also, my great Serama mama that took a chick that was 10 days younger than hers, just took 2 more chicks that were newly hatched. That's about 3+ weeks difference in the first hatched chicks. The electricity went out so I really had no choice but to try. She never blinked twice, scooted them under her and they've been happy since(3 days now)!!

Quote:
If I have read my facts right, Silkied Seramas are NOT mixed breeds and I do not believe that they were never crossed with Silkies in the first place. I am no Serama expert, but I believe that is correct.

Last edited:
The serama standard accepts silkie feathers so if your roo is a good representation of a serama and you like or don't mind the feathering you can breed them. You'd still even be within standard. The gene is recessive so only if your hens carry the gene will you get some this generation. The next generation would have some. I'm debating letting my roo cross with all my hens and hatch 2 eggs from each then sell him. My flock would then throw a silkie every so often depending how many of his chicks I keep and what I cross together. Not often enough to bother me since I don't like the feathering but often enough to have the oddity and sell a few silkie seramas.

Quote:
If I have read my facts right, Silkied Seramas are NOT mixed breeds and I do not believe that they were never crossed with Silkies in the first place. I am no Serama expert, but I believe that is correct.

You are right. Silkied Serama are NOT crosses!

I'm just so happy to hear all of this. I have a few really nice Seramas and when this one popped up I was devistated as I thought it was a throwback of a mix. Thanks a bunch to all of you for putting my mind at ease. It's really a cute little chick.
The mama continues to care for her chicks of varying ages(1wk to 4wks) and they are getting along as if all hatched together. Oh happy day!

Back
Top Bottom