Serama Foster mom turned into Terror :

1TurkenLover

Songster
10 Years
Jul 2, 2013
WASHINGTON state
No Clue where this goes: In hopes of Bigger area to Grow & flourish, i moved Serama Mom & banty chick, in with Standard Started Chicks, almost a week now, She is a Terror to them ! she Picks them Pulls feathers, Keeps them from Eating In General Raises Hell. Help How do I get her to Mellow Out, Her Banty Chick is 1/3 size then others. Now what ? I've separate Feeders & waters. This is Mom having fits inOLD coop, she can see hear chick.

IMAG0089.JPG

You just made me lol at work. Love the part of in general raises hell. I'm not much help with this but I have 2 bantams my neighbor gave me and can't wait for the rooster to start raising hell with all the big chickens. Maybe she is just an over protective mom or maybe she was picked on when she was smaller than the rest....:confused: but good luck!

She is a mom.

Put the chick back with mom.

Let time pass and she won't be so hormonal.

Then introduce using the see but no touch method.

Just also gonna say.... Serama are super tiny. They may never fit in with bigger birds.

It can not only be difficult, but just not possible to mix chicks of different hatch, different age, and hen mothers most often will NOT accept other chicks!~ (If additional chicks--not too many-- are slipped under a hen that is hatching her own, DAY OLDs only, she may accept them as her own just hatched.) She has been listening to her own eggs and knows those first voices before hatch. However, there are wonderful setting hens (not usually bantam breeds) that will accept kittens, ducks, chicks-any warm baby! They are pure gold and are truly "keepers"! Good luck, you have a job--keep the larger chick separate and warm.

You just made me lol at work. Love the part of in general raises hell. I'm not much help with this but I have 2 bantams my neighbor gave me and can't wait for the rooster to start raising hell with all the big chickens. Maybe she is just an over protective mom or maybe she was picked on when she was smaller than the rest....:confused: but good luck!

Mom does not know she's Tiny, always an Titan. ended up putting the feathered Chick back w/mom in old cage after I noticed the chick was having a FIT without her....will try again later.

It can not only be difficult, but just not possible to mix chicks of different hatch, different age, and hen mothers most often will NOT accept other chicks!~ (If additional chicks--not too many-- are slipped under a hen that is hatching her own, DAY OLDs only, she may accept them as her own just hatched.) She has been listening to her own eggs and knows those first voices before hatch. However, there are wonderful setting hens (not usually bantam breeds) that will accept kittens, ducks, chicks-any warm baby! They are pure gold and are truly "keepers"! Good luck, you have a job--keep the larger chick separate and warm.

My Mistake : putting Mom/chick month old . . . in with STARTED chicks 2 months old :he chicks got along @ dusk all night, it was when Mom got up feathers flew !

They are not her kids. Adoption regs are not written for chickens, especially most bantam hens. Yes, someone will write and say, it worked fine for them, and it DID, but it is the exception, not the rule--and happy if it does work! Some Silkie hens, some Cochins, would mother a turtle, if given one! Some, not all! Some, never! You have just become the adoptive Mom-- good luck, it takes time, but they grow fast......

Back
Top Bottom