Serama Roo with watery green diarrhea

uisceros

Songster
Jun 2, 2022
Massachusetts, USA
Hi all,

I have a one year old Serama rooster with some issues. I’m treating him for some sores on his toes (neosporin and daily bandage changes), but he’s also straining to poop and when he does only very smelly greenish liquid comes out:
IMG_0707.jpeg

I see him eat (he’s on multi flock), and his crop empties, so I have no clue what’s wrong.

He’s acting normal otherwise (he was acting odd, but I think that was the sores on his feet, because now he’s back to normal).

He is in a group with 6 hens, on pine bedding, indoors for now. I’m not seeing these symptoms with anyone else.

Any ideas? I have him on preventative corid, and I added a little molasses to the water (he had the diarrhea before I added the molasses - since he was straining to poop I worried he was constipated - I’ll change it out tomorrow with non-molasses water)

Last edited:
If you are going to treat with Corid, give the outbreak dose.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Can you take a sample of poop to your vet for a fecal float to see if worms are a problem?

Any of the feed get moldy?

If you are going to treat with Corid, give the outbreak dose.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Can you take a sample of poop to your vet for a fecal float to see if worms are a problem?

Any of the feed get moldy?
Got it! I have him on the normal dose (I’m using powdered, so 1/2 teaspoon), but I’ll switch him over in the morning.

I can try to get him to a vet, but there’s not a lot that take chickens here unfortunately!

Mold is possible - there was a leak in the waterer that I wasn’t aware of, and there was maybe 2-3 days that it was slowly soaking the bedding and kicked-out food before I noticed. I’ve since done a full clean out, but it’s possible he ate some of the soaked food.

Got it! I have him on the normal dose (I’m using powdered, so 1/2 teaspoon), but I’ll switch him over in the morning.

I can try to get him to a vet, but there’s not a lot that take chickens here unfortunately!

Mold is possible - there was a leak in the waterer that I wasn’t aware of, and there was maybe 2-3 days that it was slowly soaking the bedding and kicked-out food before I noticed. I’ve since done a full clean out, but it’s possible he ate some of the soaked food.
Photos are always helpful - of the birds, poop, etc.

If the Corid doesn't seem to be correcting the poop within a couple of days let us know.

If mold was the cause, would corid still help? Asking because I am going through the same thing
No, Corid is a Coccidiostat used to treat Coccidiosis which is an overload of protozoa in the intestines.

Photos are always helpful - of the birds, poop, etc.

If the Corid doesn't seem to be correcting the poop within a couple of days let us know.

No, Corid is a Coccidiostat used to treat Coccidiosis which is an overload of protozoa in the intestines.
So far so good - still nervous, but his poop was more solid today. Still too liquid-ey for comfort, but better.

He’s still acting normal too, crowing, eating, tidbitting.

Here he is with his “boots” (wrapped feet due to the sores he has on his fourth toes).
IMG_0703.jpeg

Heres the sores on one of his feet for reference, and some weird growth I just noticed between his toes (bumble? I have no clue). Poor Ozzy has a lot going on, luckily he’s acting mostly normal.
IMG_0684.jpeg

IMG_0701.jpeg

Cute 'Lil Guy!

His beak a little overgrown, I'd consider lightly filing every few days to get it back in shape.

It does look like a blister between the toes, could be from the wrappings, not sure.

Back
Top Bottom