Seriously, 3 out of 5?!

RiddleMe

Songster
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
Central Oregon
I bought 5 chicks (4 different breeds) from a local feed store back in early April to augment my layers, started getting suspicious at about 4 weeks, and have now confirmed 3 of the 5 are cockerels!!! And these were all sexed pullets, no SR. With those odds, I may as well just hatch my own eggs, at least then they will be free.
hmm.png

Oh your post scares me. I bought 4 "sexed pullets" a few weeks ago from my local feed store. I know vent sexing is not 100% but WOW 3 out of 5. I hope you don't spend money playing the lottery!!! LOL

Can you return them when that happens? We had one of six, so we didn't worry about it.

Can you return them when that happens? We had one of six, so we didn't worry about it.

I called the feed store and talked with an employee. They definitely wanted to know the numbers as I'm not the only customer who's had a high % of boys from that batch (I got the impression the store was tracking to get some credit/compensation). But as far as what to do with my boys... she recommended Craigslist. I'm going to call again and talk to the owner, not about a return, I think I'm on my own there, but to see if she will tell me what hatchery they are from so I know where to avoid in the future. I'm going to keep two of the boys for now, a Welsummer and a columbian colored EE, and I'm hoping the last one will sell on CL. He's a golden lakenvelder, so someone might be interested.

You guys are making me nervous-- we ordered 15 pullet chicks from a hatchery (coming next week)-- am hoping that the Hatchery does better at Sexing than the Feedstore...
(Although I know the Feedstore gets their chicks from Hatcheries too, right, but I wonder which one-- ours are from California Hatchery which is only 50 miles away.... they wouldnt let me pick up myself...)

Back
Top Bottom