Seriously, 30 weeks and no eggs?

new chick 203

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 8, 2010
Ridgefield CT
These are my first chickens so tell me if this is as odd as it seems. I have 2 EEs -19 weeks, 1 BLRW -26 weeks, and 2 bantam cochins -30 Weeks and NOT AN EGG IN SIGHT! isn't that a bit much?
th.gif

My EEggers were 30 and 33 weeks old before they started to lay..

I think Point of Lay age should be 28-30 weeks-- NOT 16-20weeks ! Everyday there are many posts about their 25, 28, 30wk +old pullets NOT laying..As I have stated before--My Uncle, who is 82 and grew up on a farm told me.. Growing up, they raised chickens--for eggs and meat for the entire(11 kids, parents and grandparents) family and to sell. The chickens were his job.. He and his brother were the flock mangers. He says his average hen was about 30weeks old before she began to lay.. The first chicks of the yr were born in early spring and began laying in late fall.. They raised most of the heritage breeds RIR, BR, Dominique and leghorns.. He says he and many others his age never heard of hen laying at 5 months old until he heard about the production breeds --Sex-link etc..

I was so worried about my girls and after talking to my uncles, I realized I was listening to all the hype about early laying and not being realistic.. So now, I will never look for eggs before 30wks old from ANY breeds..

Good luck and give them a few more weeks..

I have a 34 week old Wyandotte who laid her first egg last week, and a 31 week old Easter Egger and 34 week old Buff Orpington who just started squatting this week. I was certain that they would all wait until the days start getting longer again before they started. I'm thinking the BO and EE will start in the next week or two because they are behaving just like my two laying pullets did prior to their first egg. They go in and out of the henhouse throughout the day, digging nests and sitting for a few minutes in the nestboxes.
Anyway, I can't believe how long it has taken these girls to get started. Up until last week, I only had one of my four pullets laying, and she had started in early September! She also took a month long break from late October until two weeks ago. I dunno... these girls are fickle little chickens.

One of my two 26-week Leghorns just started laying two days ago (yeah!). The other Leghorn, my 22-week EE, and my 22-week RIR have yet to produce. Hang in there. It's late but apparently within normal parameters. They'll probably start just at the point you give up and stop obsessively checking. That's what mine did.
smile.png

Well, I'm wondering if your running up against the colder weather about the same time they would be starting to lay. If that's the case they should adjust and start laying. I wouldn't give up on them just yet. Good luck.

I have two SLW's and one GLW that are 23 weeks and no eggs from them. I have three Ameraucana pullets that are all over 30 weeks and not laying. Just got my first egg from the fourth Ameraucana pullet a little over a week ago. I know it is hard to wait and I was sure I had bought seven barren chickens but they will lay.
big_smile.png

One of my EEs just started laying at 30 1/2 weeks... nothing yet from her sister. But just watch for signs, comb color, squatting... She now lays an egg almost everyday! Now if I could get my other lazy hens to do that, I'd have plenty to share!

One of my EE's didn't lay until 32 weeks! Hang in there- they'll get around to it, then you will be so happy with those gorgeous, home grown eggs!

Hi:

I have a couple blue Ameraucana hens that are 30 weeks that still have not layed a single egg. Getting worried here!
sad.png
I have some split Ameraucan's that are 23 weeks old and they are not laying yet either. I decided to put a light up today to give them more daylight time to see if that helps any. As a matter of fact, it must be the change of weather because only two of my chickens are laying right now, and those are my white leghorns that lay no matter what. LOL!!! Hope you all find some eggs from your girls soon.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom