Seriously???

snoggle

Chirping
7 Years
Saw this ad on Craigslist:

Baby chickens for free - they are about a month old and need a great home please contact me asap i live in a apartment i got them for my daughter and now they are too much lol

Um, you live in an apartment and got chickens for your daughter and were surprised that it didn't work out perfectly? Really? They actually got bigger and are now "too much"?

Almost annoys me as much as people who get a Great Dane or St. Bernard puppy and then need to re-home it because it "got too big". Grrrr!

I know how you feel. I used to work with a rescue group and was amazed at the constant stream of Shih Tzu, Lhasas, Poodles, etc who were no longer cute and fluffy and now required expensive grooming... imiagine the nerve of that little dog to expect that it be GROOMED every few weeks.... and for the rest of it's life too! Sheez.
Then there were all the Labs who chewed everything.... Or the Jack Russells who just simply went nuts and tore the house apart.

So when are you going to pick up the chicks?
big_smile.png

So when are you going to pick up the chicks?
big_smile.png

So, you read minds, eh?
wink.png

I emailed him to see what kind of chicks they are and how many he has.

I just got my first chicks a few weeks ago and don't even have the coop completely ready to go yet. Of course, these guys are about a week older than mine, so I might be able to just put them in the brooder together (please let me know if I'm wrong on this). I just don't have room to take in more than a few.

Yeah, I have a Great Dane and a Lab and have had Great Pyrenees. I'm always amazed by the number of people who complain about having had one that got "too big". How dare they grow, right?

If they are all large fowl chicks or all Bantam then you should be fine. Putting together large fowl and bantam your going to have a loss.

I don't think anybody was surprised at all. I think they figured the little things would be cute and fuzzy, daughter would enjoy them while they were cute and fuzzy, and then when the "new" wore off, they'd get rid of them. The perfect "disposable pet," because of course, there are always people who have other uses for chickens besides cuddling with them. I'm sure, from their perspective, this is a win-win situation. At least they are making the effort to re-home these birds, rather than dump them somewhere (as is often done with other unwanted animals). I'm sure that they would become quite indignant if you were to try to tell them that there was anything wrong with this idea. Clearly, they don't feel that animal ownership should be reserved for those of us who are prepared to commit our time, money and effort in the care of an animal, for as long as that animal may live.

I don't think anybody was surprised at all. I think they figured the little things would be cute and fuzzy, daughter would enjoy them while they were cute and fuzzy, and then when the "new" wore off, they'd get rid of them. The perfect "disposable pet," because of course, there are always people who have other uses for chickens besides cuddling with them.

Yep, you're probably right. It just drives me nuts that people are so irresponsible and expect others to rescue them from their bad choices.

Where's Fowler? I have been in ohio 5 years and am still hearing of new towns. I am near Zanesville. If you can't take them all maybe I could help.

Where's Fowler? I have been in ohio 5 years and am still hearing of new towns. I am near Zanesville. If you can't take them all maybe I could help.

"Town" is a strong word for Fowler
tongue.png
. We're on 305 about 5 miles east of Cortland and about 20 minutes northeast of Warren, not too far from the PA line. I used to live down in Newark/Heath and then later in Columbus for many years, so I know where Zanesville is. I think the guy with the chickens is located in Austintown, if I'm remembering correctly. I haven't heard back from him yet. I'll let you know. If you can't help, I know someone here who has like 100 chickens as pets, she'd probably help me out. My limit for a total is like 12, but she could add 10 more and never notice.

Back
Top Bottom