served in army for three yrs but doesn't qualify....

I was in the Army 81-85, Artillery. Two years in Schweinfurt Germany and 2 years in Ft Bragg. in Germany we were 20 klicks from the wall and they used to tell us if the balloon went up our average life expectancy was around 10 minutes. We were active but never got shot at or had to worry about a roadside bomb blowing us up. That was great by me. I don't have all the images of war in my head. So I think the guys that have seen combat do deserve a little more. I don't think the military does enough for them when they get out.

7000 a year? That is excessive unless you live in an 800k house.

I whole heartedly thank each and every person in this forum...those who served, currently serve, and those who support us.

I am 17 year active duty MSgt in the USAF and I truly appreciate the patriotism demonstrated by all of you!!!!

You are the reason we serve...a little tax break from the Govt. would be nice...but the people, like all of you, are why we do it!

This may come across as a little sappy to some...but its how I feel!

thumbsup.gif

NJ, NY, and Wisconsin have some of the highest property taxes in the nation. $145,000 isn't your total assessment though, or is it? That's somewhere around 4.8%... There must be more than just the house included in there.

Quote:
Is there a past due amount? I'd definitely start asking some questions and ask your local treasurer to explain the bill to you. I looked up an estimated mill rate for Shroeppel and you should be paying around $16.34 for each $1000 of valuation or about $2400 in your case.

http://www.co.oswego.ny.us/rpts/taxbook.html

Edited to add: Your figure may be correct as the first chart doesn't take into account school taxes which would be another $19 or $29 for each $1000, depending on the school district. That's a crazy amount all together. For our property in Wisconsin, which I thought had a high tax bill, the combined mill rate is around $20 per $1000.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is the school rate that is out ragous. they are like $4,000 alone. right remember that is only with snowplowing... not water or septic or NOTHING!!!!!

Last edited:
Your tax bill didn't even sound plausible at first. I was looking at a Forbes article earlier about who pays the highest property taxes. It was ranked by property taxes paid as a percentage of income. My county in Wisconsin was ranked around 50th and yours was ranked around 150th. It said your county tax rate averages around 2.5% of the assessment value, but you're paying almost twice that...
th.gif

Quote:
My DH(3rd generation army) was stationed in Schweinfurt for 3 years , we met there .
He was in the Ledward barracks. 50% of the time he was gone though. Either in the balkans with the BIG RED ONE as a 19D ,when he was a sniper or he was in the International Long Range Reconnaissance school.
I find it crazy how much they charge you we pay 950$ about on a house that is worth 64000$. Hope you can get some relief somewhere. Vets shouldnt be charged an arm and a leg for the limps they already lost serving our country.

I'm seeing some disconnects that I don't quite understand.

You had three years of active duty but you don't have a DD214? Was it active duty (not active reserves but full time active duty) or was it reserve time? If it was active duty you should have a DD214.

Unless you served during a time when the National Defense Service Medal was awarded you probably won't qualify for wartime service unless you have a campaign medal for certain campaigns.

Like Mac said, all states are different. We are not taking about federal programs, we are talking about state programs.

Back
Top Bottom