set up a dirt bath

JulieJo1216

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 17, 2014
Now that it's winter here in Washington state my Golden lace wyandotte stays in the run or coop; normally summer time she free ranges half the day. We have Cold temps right now. I was wondering if I should set up some kind of dirt bath in the run for her. I would tarp off part of the runs sides so rain or snow don't blow in. Maybe use Sand? Or mulch? Do they even need the bath in winter? Plus I have 3 10 week olds, do they need to have a dirt bath yet? Any information would be so helpful and appreciated. Thank you!
1f60a.png

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes, your chicks need something to bathe in. If they have shavings as their bedding then this is fine. Otherwise, fill a bowl or box with dirt.

As for this winter, yes, they still need to bathe. Again, if they have shavings or straw as bedding then they can bathe in that. Otherwise, sand or dirt is fine to use. Put it in some sort of sand box or something. I use an old wheelbarrow. My flock loves to dig in the wheelbarrow filled with dirt!

Good luck!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I keep a flat box with wood ash in it in the coop for my chickens to bathe in. They love it and wood ash is even more effective than dirt or dust in controlling lice and mite infestations. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

welcome-byc.gif
So glad you joined us.

You definitely need a bathing area year round. Mine started sand baths at about one week old. You have been missing out on one of the most entertaining antics ever. They remind me of the Tasmanian Devil cartoon…throwing sand up and around. There are a lot of ideas on this site of how to do it, but the easiest is just a pile of loose substrates. They seem to love the community bath times. Some folks build a simple wood frame to try to contain it, others find a large something to fill. Mine live on sand and bathe anywhere, but I have a old baby tub and it is used often.

Here's a link discussion and a good photo: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/259995/post-pics-of-orps-orpingtons-here/6170

YES, do give them an area for dust bathing. I re-purposed a rubber cement trough into a large dusting bin for my girls. I give them sand with wood ashes and they have an absolute blast. HINT: When then are done dusting, make sure you're standing up-wind as they will produce a huge cloud of dust when they shake out their feathers!

YES, do give them an area for dust bathing. I re-purposed a rubber cement trough into a large dusting bin for my girls. I give them sand with wood ashes and they have an absolute blast. HINT: When then are done dusting, make sure you're standing up-wind as they will produce a huge cloud of dust when they shake out their feathers!

Mtn Laurel, I just got done reading your coop building story and have to say what a wonderful read it was! Your coop is beautiful (kudos to your husband on the construction) and the way you told the story of building it was clear and fun to read. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Some birds don't like coming out side in the colder weather. If you can tarp off part of your run to cut down on the wind or keep out the snow, do so. A big tub full of sand or dirt will work well. Some people use giant flower pots filled with dirt. As Mountain Peeps uses, a wheelbarrow works fine as well.

Enjoy your flock and stay warm! :)

Back
Top Bottom