Setting eggs 3/15/14 - Who is with me?

Brahma just hatched, Americana and the first flower hen are still pipping. Still see movement in the flower hen egg. He hasn't changed the hole much since last night, hope he's ok

I just can't get enough of these two little guys! I can tell today is not going to be a productive day at all........Is that the time?!

Quote:
The only thing keeping me from being glued to the incubator is the fact that it is in my son's room. I think he has to work at 11am so a little over an hour til I can peek at them all I want ;)

Update - just walked in to see a JG kicking out of her shell - that makes 3 hatched. Zipping going on in the Fav egg. The little buggers have played kick ball with the eggs so I can't get a good look but I know I had one AM pipped on the last check.

well.. final count is in. 5 live chicks out of 12 that went to lockdown. can't say I'm not disappointed!
they were shipped eggs with detached air cells, but they looked very good going into lockdown. we had extreme issues with malpositioning. I can only guess that it has to do with shipment, because some of the others were in the position to pip, zip, and hatch on their own...

on my last update I had 4 out and 2 waiting to hatch. I found in eggtopsy, 1 of those was badly malpositioned with it's head in between it's legs, tucked in between the stomach/yolk and the thighbone. its beak was nowhere near the shell to pip. it died in the shell, though I did try to intervene day 23 at 5am (today) it was too late and it suffocated.

I was able to intervene on the last egg though. it is still in shell right now. luckily, this chick's beak was in the right position and I was able to find it when I opened the egg. I created an internal pip for the chick and allowed it to breathe. that was almost 24 hours ago. the visible veins in the membrane started receeding almost immediately. I kept the membrane moist with anti-biotic ointment, checking on it often. I removed more shell around hour 18 and 22. now, enough shell is removed that the chick can escape on it's own, just the membrane is holding it in. I am going to let the chick fight it's way out to gain some strength.

the other chick in the incubator seems to have trouble standing up. I'm keeping an eye on it..
fl.gif

3 chicks under their ecoglow brooder, looks like 2 are splash!

egg chick & it's friend
the friend chick seems to have trouble standing up

I'm done now. Came back from tow to find that the partridge was gone. The yolk was absorbing but not complete. 3 adorable little phoenix bantams from 30 shipped eggs. I'm warming up the brooder now, pictures when I move them.

With only the three I will be able to keep in the laundry room longer, they end up so calm dealing with all the interaction.

Back
Top Bottom