Setting eggs 4-3-14

Oh how adorable!! What good chickens they are! I have one that been sitting on a dozen eggs for 5 days but someone is beginning to eat her eggs and made a mess in the nest box.Now I don't know what to do.
Meanwhile, back in the incubator I had 2 chicks hatch early in the wee hours yesterday morning which was right on time. Since then no pips or peeps on the remaining 9 eggs. Still waiting...Maybe I'll do the float test later today.

So I've had 12 hatch so far. The other 9 eggs are showing no signs of doing anything. Has anyone had anything happen at this point in incubation? Should I give up on these eggs?

I have two that are not doing anything. After the last pipped egg hatched lastnight I opened up the incubator and candled those two quickly and gently. I still see the air cell which looks good and darkness... don't see veining , but I didn't on most before. I also didn't see any internal pips or movement. I personally think my two are not goners, but I don't feel comfortable ditching them for at least another couple days just in case. Did you try candling or the float test?

We had a total of 15 hatch. Two are sitting not doing anything and the one that had pipped that I thought died did :( I candled it over 24 hours after movement and cheeping seized and I saw goo... the chick had pipped too far down. Missed the air cell completely. I feel bad. It is the one that's membrane looked funky and I had thought about helping it by cutting a hole through the membrane, but I didn't. I think if I had it would have survived. It was one of two eggs thats showed the most growth throughout the cnadling journey. Of course there really is now way of knowing and I am perhaps too empathetic toward these chickies.

I do not think we are to do the float test as the water will wash away the protective coating. Instead take the eggs into a dark closet along with a powerful flashlight and do the candeling trick. I did not as my two girls would not allow me near the eggs. I just had to keep busy because I wanted to know so badly. :)

Last edited:
I'm afraid to do the float test! LOL I have 6 eggs waiting for Sunday to hatch but I'm pretty sure one of them is no good, leaving it in there for daughter's benefit. The other five are still rocking and wiggling so I'm happy.

I've never done the float test myself. Only read about it.

Dcat- Why do you think the one is no good? Is it just bc it hasn't been wiggling like the rest? None of mine rocked or wiggled at all until they had pipped. So if that's your reason don't count it out yet! :)

I wish thT was the case, then I wouldn't worry. I haven't seen any growth in a week but she doesn't want me to take it out"just in case". I did that with a dark egg the first time and now she's paranoid. I'm waiting for pips to happen sometime today or tomorrow morning. I candled one egg last night and you could see her pushing against the membrane which was very cool. I immediately put her back. I went in to get the stupid stink bug out, it had finally moved to where I could scoop it out.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...574939695079.146145.1301936448&type=1&theater well i have13 so far and 5 due on mon-tues
wee.gif
but the naughty incubator filled itself up again wi12 polish eggs
clap.gif
i have 4 polish and the others come from a mix of bluebell, speckledy, magpie,black rock, bla copper moran , ee & warren all running with a buff brahma
thumbsup.gif
half have feathered legs/feet they are lovely ! i was so concerned with this incy i w given as even though the temp was stable the humidity for 18 days never went above 30 and at lock down was 45-55 but this has been my best hatch yet
jumpy.gif

First chick has zipped halfway, you can see her struggling here and there but she has stopped zipping. Her fluff is starting to dry which worries me. I jacked the humidity up to 70% but not sure what else if anything I should do.its been a few hours since she stopped zipping. Suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom