Setting eggs 4-3-14

My wyandotte is sitting on five silkie eggs I gave her this week. However, the box is wide and the others keep climbing in next to her to lay their eggs. Of course she then stuffs the egg under her like a good mother hen. Any suggestions on ways to get a broody off the nest long enough to grab the infertile eggs? I don't have a rooster so all my girls lay infertile eggs.

My wyandotte is sitting on five silkie eggs I gave her this week. However, the box is wide and the others keep climbing in next to her to lay their eggs. Of course she then stuffs the egg under her like a good mother hen. Any suggestions on ways to get a broody off the nest long enough to grab the infertile eggs? I don't have a rooster so all my girls lay infertile eggs.
Just reach under her and take them. Not that scary--or entice her off with her favorite treat.

Well my eggs may be a little delayed. My family and I had to go out of town on Thursday because my husbands grandpa passed away. When I got home today the incubator was at 98 degrees. I'm thankful that it wasn't at 106 but still a little bummed.

My little Bantam, Lucy comes out of the nesting box in the morning and rushes to the garden and scratches about 90 mph. She eats her laying mesh and corn and cabbage leaves with grass, chickweed, etc and drinks a good amount of water and poops the gets back on the nest and stays there all day and night. She is off the nest about 25 minutes. I am wondering if this is normal. I have never had chickens before last September. Lucy will be a year old about May or June. She starting going into the nest box and staying most of the day on April 1st. Should the eggs hatch on April 22nd?

Wednesday morning when I went to let them out, I peeked into the cage and both Lucy and Tiger were in the nest box. So cute.
Madeare

My little Bantam, Lucy comes out of the nesting box in the morning and rushes to the garden and scratches about 90 mph. She eats her laying mesh and corn and cabbage leaves with grass, chickweed, etc and drinks a good amount of water and poops the gets back on the nest and stays there all day and night. She is off the nest about 25 minutes. I am wondering if this is normal. I have never had chickens before last September. Lucy will be a year old about May or June. She starting going into the nest box and staying most of the day on April 1st. Should the eggs hatch on April 22nd?

Wednesday morning when I went to let them out, I peeked into the cage and both Lucy and Tiger were in the nest box. So cute.
Madeare

Very normal... Mine did the same and she hatched out 4 last night... Today is day 21... more to go but we shall see..

Very normal... Mine did the same and she hatched out 4 last night... Today is day 21... more to go but we shall see..

Thank you, American Mom. Since both little ladies are using the same box, I put an x on the 12 original eggs. This morning I removed Tigers green eggs from the last two eggs. My soninlaw is building me a new coop. I will go see the progress this afternoon if the rain stops. He is building it in pieces and will bring the large pieces over to assemble. I am grateful.

i set mine on the 3rd of april, this is my 3rd hatch in 12mths , the 1st one was a disaster
sad.png
i borrowed a brinsea octogan 20 with auto turner, but wasnt sure what to do! i set 10 3 hatched on days 26-27 opened others and 4 were fully developed but dead and 3 died at various stages
hit.gif
so i bought a hydrometer (not to be beaten) set 20 &14 hatched
wee.gif
but this time ive been given (yes given) a fiem 50 incubator, with auto turner its a circulating air one! but no water chanels, so ive put paper towels on the bottom and syring warm water in 3 times a day , temp stays steady but humidity is up and down, ive only set 15 eggs,3 tiny polish and 1 blue and 1 green egg and 10 various brown all off my hens as last time i was given the eggs but i think they were in bred as i had defects and out of 14 i only have 4 left they have had one problem or another! i have non of the roos left from that hatch so im hoping this time i might have better results, mine are a mixed flock running with a brahma cock, 2 polish cocks & 1 silky, so should be interesting
D.gif
i had a quick candle tonight, just to see if anything is happening, just on a couple and i can see veins all ready , good luck everyone
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom