Setting eggs 4-3-14

Today is day 8 for my clutch. I went and candled them all(again) and found 9 out of 10 eggs viable and showing swimming little babies. Some of them were very energetic! The 10th egg was not fertile at all so it was removed, opened for confirmation and tossed. I don't expect all 9 to hatch but boy would that be cool! I find the waiting game not too bad until day 19, then it feels like I'm looking in the incubator every 5 minutes. I have to almost force myself to do other things.
Now, a few weeks ago I placed a local ad looking for hatching eggs, not too expensive since I'm such a beginner. I had a few people respond but most were further than I wanted to travel or too expensive for what I was looking for. The last two days I have received emails either offering me eggs to hatch out for others or cheap prices. That would be awesome if I had room! Now I'm contemplating making another incubator. I'm really laughing at myself over here over that last thought.

My little Bantam, Lucy comes out of the nesting box in the morning and rushes to the garden and scratches about 90 mph. She eats her laying mesh and corn and cabbage leaves with grass, chickweed, etc and drinks a good amount of water and poops the gets back on the nest and stays there all day and night. She is off the nest about 25 minutes. I am wondering if this is normal. I have never had chickens before last September. Lucy will be a year old about May or June. She starting going into the nest box and staying most of the day on April 1st. Should the eggs hatch on April 22nd?

Wednesday morning when I went to let them out, I peeked into the cage and both Lucy and Tiger were in the nest box. So cute.
Madeare

Now I am really amazed. Lucy is setting on her 11 white eggs and 5 green eggs that belong to Tiger. Since last Thursday which is day ten, Tiger is in the nest box (pictured on the left with my little Sophie) and sharing setting duty. When the eggs do hatch about the 22nd. Will they know their own chicks or will there be fuzzing. Poor RooRoo, he just walks up and down in front of the box like and expecting Father. This is so much fun. I only have the 3 and 4 is the limit in the city.

So how does everyone's clutchs look so far? Yes, I know, eggs laying there LOL, Some of you are close to lock down I'm sure. I still have two weeks to go and that almost makes me wish we could hurry them somehow even knowing that the wait is worth it. I think I'm procrastinating here, I don't want to clean but I need to and know I will feel much better once I have.

So how does everyone's clutchs look so far? Yes, I know, eggs laying there LOL, Some of you are close to lock down I'm sure. I still have two weeks to go and that almost makes me wish we could hurry them somehow even knowing that the wait is worth it. I think I'm procrastinating here, I don't want to clean but I need to and know I will feel much better once I have.

It is KILLING me too! My flashlight just isn't that good, and I don't want to spend anymore money.....so they will probably have to be 2 weeks along before I will be able to clearly see development.

ARG!

Back
Top Bottom