Setting eggs anyone want to join?

i have one that pipped and has died, 3 or 4 that wernt fertile 9 has hatched and 2 have pipped out of 25 eggs so far im happy with the homemade bator.

sounds like you are doing good. im hoping i get more just not messed up ones any more. this whole chicken incubation hobby thing is harder then i thought. then now im worried my whole flock is sick especially since i been eating the eggs and giving some to family and friends.

do you know what it cost to get this done? that would be great to know what my birds health are. i had 4 month buff orpington get sick for about 2 weeks so now i have been spraying with oxine ah and putting DE where they mostly hangout and in the coop but my birds free range on acre all day so i cant protect them from everything.

Some states actually do it for free, I'm not sure about yours, but it is worth it. Be prepared though. If you do find anything they recommend culling the whole flock. I'm hoping to get mine soon, I have to run through another worming first (I don't think they care about that, but I want to be on the safe side)

sounds like you are doing good. im hoping i get more just not messed up ones any more. this whole chicken incubation hobby thing is harder then i thought. then now im worried my whole flock is sick especially since i been eating the eggs and giving some to family and friends.

i hope it gets better, i hope your gonna keep trying

Some states actually do it for free, I'm not sure about yours, but it is worth it. Be prepared though. If you do find anything they recommend culling the whole flock. I'm hoping to get mine soon, I have to run through another worming first (I don't think they care about that, but I want to be on the safe side)

i really dont mind culling my birds as long as things will clear up and i can start all over. the crappy part is i just got 6 buff orpington chicks last month to start off with a new pure breed buff flock and if birds are infected i will have to cull them to. im also thinking how in the heck am i going to catch everyone to be tested lol.

do you know what it cost to get this done? that would be great to know what my birds health are. i had 4 month buff orpington get sick for about 2 weeks so now i have been spraying with oxine ah and putting DE where they mostly hangout and in the coop but my birds free range on acre all day so i cant protect them from everything
It looks like it's free in AZ. It cost $25 here in TN for the whole flock. They come and take a blood sample from the whole flock to check for diseases. Each state checks for different ones. Here is a list of all states in case anyone else wants to know about NPIP certs for your chickens.

[FONT=Garamond, Times, Serif]State NPIP Requirements and Cost: These are in alphabetical order by state. All fees are yearly with testing of birds being required every year for renewal. All states require Pollorum, Thyphoid, & Avian Bird Flu testing on all birds 4 months of age and older.

AK: No Cost
AL: Health Certificate from a vet required at vets charge, Hatchery Permit: $5.00, & $4.00 per year testing fee.

AZ: No Cost
AR: Inspection Fee: $30.00, Salmonella Swabs for Incubators: $7.00. & Pollorum/Thyphoid testing & banding per bird: $0.30. All yearly.
CA:
CO:
CT: Inspection Fee: $1.00 to $1.65 per sample for Pollorum/Thyphoid & AI. Salmonella testing is $35.00 per sample. State decides the number of samples done.
DE: No Cost
FL: No Cost
GA: Inspection Fee: $8.00 & Pollorum/Thyphoid test per bird: $0.35.
ID: Breeders purchase antigens & equipment for Pollorum, Thyphoid, & Salmonella testing. There is no cost other than supplies purchased.
IL: No Cost
IN: Inspection Fee: $80.00. Fee covers membership to Indianna State Poultry Association, and testing for Pollorum, Thyphoid, salmonella, mycoplasma, and Avian Bird Flu yearly.
IA: Inspection Fee: $20.00.
KS: Inspection Fee: $30.00 with a $0.50 to $1.00 fee per bird tested. You pay $80.00 to $100.00 for the antigen used. You must have a certified person test your flock or become a certified tester & test your own flock. This state does not provide testers & a tester or training will be at your own expense.
KY: No Cost
LA: No Cost, but must pay a LA vet to do the testing.
ME:
MD:
MA: No Cost
MI: Inspection Fee: $25.00 & Renewal Fee is $10.00 to maintain status.
MN: Inspection Fee: $25.00. You learn to test & test your own flock. It is mandatory you attend a class for testing to both become a tester and test your flock.
MS:
MO: No Cost
MT:
NE:
NV: Inspection Fee: $5.00 to $7.00 per bird depending upon the number of birds the state decides to test at the time of inspection.
NH:
NJ: Inspection Fees: $5.00 for the first 25 birds and $0.20 for each additional bird after that up to 300 birds. Above 300 birds is a flat $60.00 charge.
NM:
NY: Health Certificate from a vet required at vets charge & no cost by state for test.
NC: Inspection Fee: $0.05 per bird with a $5.00 minimum.
ND: Breeder must find a tester and pay their fees or pay to become a tester and then test their own flock. Training is done by MN. Testing materials not provided by either state.
OH:
OK: Inspection Fee: $5.00
OR:
PA:
RI: No Cost
SC: If you use a certified state tester, the cost is $0.20 per bird. Private tester may cost more or less.
SD: Health Certificate from a vet required at vets charge & no cost by state to test.
TN: Inspection Fee: $25.00
TX:
UT: Breeder must pay for a vet inspection and admission fees of the lab of which the vet submits the tests to. Cost will vary, but average $8.00 submission fee to lab and $5.00 per type test done. This is vets decision.
VT: Inspection Fee: Varies. The basic response from this state is that it will depend upon what the state inspector decides to test for other than the basic requirements plus how long the inspector is at your farm.
VA:
WA: You draw the blood from your own flock and send it to an appointed lab. The cost is $1.00 to $2.00 per sample plus a $10.00 administration fee. A WA vet will come to your property yearly for a record check to see if you have purchased any birds that are not NPIP tested.
WV:
WI: Inspection Fees: $20.00/Exhibition Birds, $30.00/Gamebirds, $40.00 if you have less than 1,000 birds & $50.00 if you have more than 1,000 birds. Mycoplasma test required for turkeys.
WY: No Cost. Breeder pays $80.00 to $100.00 for the antigen used for testing.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Mine free range too. So the best way to get them is as night while they are asleep. But for the Vet that comes out, I just wont let them out of the coop that day. Then I can grab them one by one. Or rather I send my 4 year old after them. She is a world class chicken catcher! Much better than her 5 year old brother.
The kids and 2 of our EE's not real happy about being cuddled

thanks peach2u for all the info i appreciate it. i will definitely look into the test more and call the state vet for my area especially if it free.

UPDATE: red tube baby has died this morning. the one that pipped yesterday has hatched and looks healthy but also had long slimy thing dragging so i snipped it before it could pull anything major out of its belly like the others who died. so looks like i will at least have 4 healthy babies.still got 8 more eggs in the bator with no activity so hopefully i will have more hatch soon.

Back
Top Bottom