Setting eggs Memorial Day Weekend! :) They're hatching!!!

OK i candled my eggs to day, day 7 for me i used a 1 million candle power halogen spot light. from what i can tell i only have 5 good eggs out of 18 all the americana eggs have a big yellow blob in them but i don't see the little black spot or any movement. i got the americana eggs for free any way. i seen her take them right out off the nesting box right before i left maybe they were old. now the maran eggs in 5 of them i seen a black spot moving and an air sell 3 of them had a blood ring and 2 I'm not sure about. what makes them get a blood ring? and what makes them just have a yellow blob with know black spot? my temp did get down to 98 a few times the first 3 days.

I've been a total slacker about posting lately. Sorry guys! Things have just been nuts around here.

Chole's doing well. She's still sitting, but I think she's back to not getting up on her own. Two days ago she went potty in the nest box. At least is was a smaller one, and was not even close to the eggs. So yesterday I made her get up and walk around a bit. Today I let her be, and gave her some strawberries. I didn't even make her get up to eat them. But tomorrow I plan on making sure she not only gets off the nest, but also free ranges for a few minutes.

How's everyone doing?

Oh yea, and peace out Day 10!!!!

Wow Chole is quite a trooper! Can you imagine how dull life would be to set for 21 days? My hats off to chicken mammas'. Well, today my 4 2-week old SLW's came home. My mother wanted to raise chicks for a couple of weeks so I bought some SLW's from a local feed store (I wanted them anyways) and let her watch them for the first two weeks. Now they are entering into the "I don't want to be caught" stage and it is time to move them into a larger brooder. So I've got chicks inside with me again!
love.gif
My poor mother though. I wish they'd let people keep hens in her city... I just know she would love to have a few cluckers around!

I am traveling and my neighbor is watching my eggs all week. He sends me a text every so often identifying the temperature and humidity and lack of nasty smells in the incubator. I hope it is all going Ok. The day after I get home, we go into lockdown!!

See my thread on the forum - asking for candling advice, I think I might be in trouble here!!!

Day 14 for five orps and four brahmas, all doing just fine, and down to 34 barnevelders, day 9, weeded out two early quitters tonight, with a bunch of suspects in there, these eggs are really dark and shells are thick so kinda hard to candle. Checking all the suspects for nasty smells though. Bator seems to smell of warm damp eggs, so nothing sinister in there anyway.

I nearly dropped one of mine candling at day 14 last night, after I felt the chick tapping on the side of the egg! It's got a week to go yet (due next Thursday) Never felt that before, was such a surprise!!

Yes it sure Is. I have a little calendar on my desk at work with next Saturday circled in red. Each day I love to add another X to the calendar. This feels like it is taking a long time!

I can't believe that it's managing to go by both fast and slowly. Haha! I can't believe 12 days have gone by already, but 9 more seems like a long time. But it's hard to believe that in 9 days those eggs are going to turn into fuzzy butts!
yippiechickie.gif

Hasta la vista Day 12!!!!

Back
Top Bottom