Setting eggs Memorial Day Weekend! :) They're hatching!!!

Hey, how is everyone doing? Today I let my 6-week old's out into the big pen and they were having a blast digging in the dirt and taking dust baths. How exciting! I also drove to a local Marans breeder this morning about 1 hr north of me and picked up 5 Wheaten Marans. I had originally planned on 3 of them but they all looked so cute.
hu.gif
Chicken math strikes again! They are very shy compared to my other 6-week old's so I am going to have to spend some extra time getting to know them. I am going to candle my eggs in the 'bator for the 2nd time tomorrow to weed out any quitters. How about all of you?

Last edited:
I will be candleing some today sometime. I have a lot to candle. Gonna take a while. I have 26 in one incubator, was 27 but one was an early dropout. I have another 127 due to hatch now the week after these. And added 64 more yesterday. Im not candleing the ones the hens are sitting on that are due with the first 26 to hatch out next week. lol.

I candled one last time and put all 19 eggs into lockdown this morning. My neighbor did a great job keeping everything stable while we were on vacation. My 8 Barred Rocks look great although there are 2 that I can't see veins. They may be quitters but I put them in anyway since they could also be pretty full of chick right? I see definite veins in the other 6.

My 11 Black Copper Marans seem to be Ok but really I don't think I'd know either way.
idunno.gif
There are only 4 that have definite veins. The others I can't see veins or much of anything except an air cell. I put them all in too. We will see on Wednesday!! I marked all the ones I wasn't sure of, so next time (!!) I will know what I am looking at.

My husband is working on the coop as fast as he can!!

Well. So much for candleing some of the eggs the hens are sitting on anyway now. The only one I would do is the hen in the house here ( yes, her box is in my living room). Hers are hatching out now. Seen 3 babies so far. Waiting to see the others but she wont get up. lol. Might help if I would stop giving her some water and let her get up on her own and get it.
smile.png

JDVess, Congrats on the new fuzz butts! Before you know it your girls will be in bliss with little peepers following them around.
clap.gif

Well, I candled the remaining 9 good eggs and they all appear to be right on track. Lockdown is Thursday and hatch day is Saturday. This is going to be one long work week.....
barnie.gif

Well, I locked own tonight as I'm working 12 hours tomorrow. Due early Thursday. Now, on top of the waxed egg, I think I do actually have a double chick egg. Have been suspecting it for a time, two lots of independant movement in the egg. And tonight I saw a foot in a regular egg, fairly big foot, and saw one in my suspect egg, TINY! So, my suspicions are 75% confirmed! Time will tell hatch day...

I'm so glad everyone's eggs are doing well! I've given up checking on Chole's eggs. I can't see a thing, and I'm afraid to disturb her too much. I pulled her off the nest today, and it took her a lot longer to settle back down than usual. So unless she seems uncomfortable I'm not planning on moving her anymore. She hasn't kicked any eggs out of the nest, so I'm guessing they're all doing good
big_smile.png
This is soooo exciting! I can't wait for Saturday, or even Friday so I can listen for chirping eggs!

Au revoir Day 15!

Hi everybody! I'm on day 14 (well, for my original three. Apparently she wasn't quite ready when she started and laid an additional four eggs, which she is also sitting on...I really hope she stays on them after the first couple hatch) and Miss Broody is going strong. Doesn't like to leave her babies for even a moment, and if I pick her up and set her down a foot from the nest she'll soon go back and settle down again.
smile.png
Can't wait for next week!!!

Quote:
Will a broody kick out the bum eggs? If so, that's great, because I am debating whether to toss one or not. I've heard about exploding eggs...
sickbyc.gif
But maybe that doesn't happen with natural incubation? The egg doesn't smell too bad, but I don't see too much going on it when I candle.

Back
Top Bottom