Setting Eggs On March 7, anyone else??

I meant my hatch date was 3-29. I'm so punchy I can hardly see straight. Stayed up half the night waiting for a 2nd chick to put in with the first one so he wouldn't be lonely (however, he has bonded with a 6" teddy bear I put in the brooder!) and then had to watch 5 mo old granddaughter all day while still worrying about my hatch.

Hi all! I think my hatch is over now. Day 23 so I pulled the remaining 13 eggs and upon examining them found that they had died at different times in the last week or so with about 4 just before hatch. So I am scratching my head as to why. None had pipped and drowned, the 4 that were fully formed were still in the wrapper. But I do have 20 healthy acting mixed chicks in the basement so I am a happy chicken momma. Hope all is well with everyone!! I enjoyed reading along and participating in the hatch a long. Thanks.

I had same luck with this hatch. Only 4 of mine made it. Others died in lockdown chirping but never pipped. And some didn't get threw the membrane lining or whatever you call it and died. Then I had 3 Silkies supposed to hatch yesterday and the one pipped on the bottom and died in shell another I heard peeping then it stopped it was in right position but never made it out and died and another never pipped and was also upside down when looking, looked as if they didn't have room to turn around so would humidity be too low? Definitly a very bad hatch this time for me.
sad.png
But... I am going to get more eggs and try once more. Hopefully I get the calicos and mottled I was hoping for.

I think I'm going to keep humidity at 30-40% this time and someone on BYC said they'd walk me threw the hatch so I am going to take them up on the offer. I don't want to loose another 2 doz eggs!! So I'll do what ever they tell me to do at this point. I still can't find bantam cochins in the calico, mottled, laced in my area so I'm gonna have to order shipped eggs again.

I would like to give it another try, but like you I can't find anyone in this huge State I live in that has what I want. I will have to try shipped eggs, again. Let me know when you start up again, and I will follow your progress. Hopefully, we will both have great success. :)

Back
Top Bottom