setting eggs tonight!! anyone else?

This is off topic too, but, Cali, where in Sacremento do you live? I was born in Lodi, very close to there, and was just curious.

I'm thinking there are 4 "high-pressure" times of incubating -besides the day to day anxiety of checking hum/temp.

1st-Day 1 Setting the chicks and getting the humidity and temp regulated to start with.
2nd-Days 7-10 Checking for development, blood rings, clear eggs...
3rd-Day 18 Lockdown
4th-Day 21 Hatch day

So, why on the beginning of my Day 2 am I still stressed and literally sick to my stomach.
Your right and it will get easier.
hugs.gif
Instead of 100 times I have only checked the incubator 99 times today.
lau.gif
Really I have only checked the temp/humidity about 10 times

Quote:
Ok, totally off topic, but I had to share with you two! Our chicken coop is starting to look like a building! I'm sooooo excited! Apparently our leghorn is excited to, because she laid twice yesterday. :)
wee.gif
2 egss in 1 day, That is awesome!
woot.gif
Now you will have to share some pics with us. Our coop and run are a work in progress also.

I live in an unincorporated part of Sacramento County. My address is 'Sacramento', but I don't live near the city. I live halfway between Citrus Heights and Rio Linda if that helps. I've been down to Galt, but only passed through Lodi traveling to Southern Cal. I grew up in Ohio, but really love this area of California. It's still kind of rural in some parts.

LaynaDon-Building the chicken coop must be what's keeping you busy. Congrats on 2 eggs from one chicken!
jumpy.gif

Question-When is the soonest you can tell if the egg is fertilized? I confess...I candled two eggs at the 3:00 turning. I couldn't really see anything except maybe the air cell on one side. (Then I had this terrible thought--What if they are ALL blanks!) When was the earliest you two "saw" those veins? I know you candled early on, so spill.

Last edited:
Question-When is the soonest you can tell if the egg is fertilized? I confess...I candled two eggs at the 3:00 turning. I couldn't really see anything except maybe the air cell on one side. (Then I had this terrible thought--What if they are ALL blanks!) When was the earliest you two "saw" those veins? I know you candled early on, so spill.

I think sometime on day 3 I candled a few and saw veins.

Ohhh, Thanks Corg - I guess today was too early. I'm going to try to restrain myself from candling until Wednesday -which would be end of Day 5, beginning of Day 6 for these chickies.
smile.png

Last night, somewhere b/n 1:30 and 3 the temp dropped to 97 in the incubator. And I think it's because we lower our heat at night, but I didn't realize it would have an impact 'inside' the bator. I read a thread that it would, though. Tonight I'll either keep the house heater consistent or put a little heater in the 'egg nursery' to kick on as the house cools down. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Your right and it will get easier.
hugs.gif
Instead of 100 times I have only checked the incubator 99 times today.
lau.gif
Really I have only checked the temp/humidity about 10 times

Quote:
2 egss in 1 day, That is awesome!
woot.gif
Now you will have to share some pics with us. Our coop and run are a work in progress also.

I will definitely post pics! We should have the roof on and maybe (maybe) walls by tomorrow sometime.
big_smile.png

I live in an unincorporated part of Sacramento County. My address is 'Sacramento', but I don't live near the city. I live halfway between Citrus Heights and Rio Linda if that helps. I've been down to Galt, but only passed through Lodi traveling to Southern Cal. I grew up in Ohio, but really love this area of California. It's still kind of rural in some parts.

LaynaDon-Building the chicken coop must be what's keeping you busy. Congrats on 2 eggs from one chicken!
jumpy.gif

lol Yeah. That's why I haven't been on as much as usual. ;) I think my mom is glad I have something else to do besides BYC all day. (Which is totally untrue... I'm not an addict... I do my chores before I get on... mostly
tongue.png
I love BYC.)
I can't remember exactly when I started seeing veins. I think I candled on day four because it's written down on my calendar for me to do on day five... They were pretty obvious by then.

Last edited:
Oh my meat birds will come live , But I also have another 12 mixed eggs coming from Indiana That I bought off eBay and she didn't want to ship til monday in fear they may freeze over the weekend.
SO im excited about those .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom