Setting Feb 16, want to join in>Hatch-Along

Roosterish? How can you tell?
I too can only keep females.
My lil ones are 5 weeks now.

Hi pcreel. Well I am not positive who's who but I have some in one group that are really developing a comb and tail feathers. In the other group there are some that have little tail feathers and feathers on their shoulders more so than the others of the same breed. I assumed that the ones developing the tail and shoulder feathers first were males but then I read on here somewhere that females develope their feathers first. So I'm not sure but I can tell there is a difference so one must be male and one female. lol This is a learning experience for me too. The majority of mine are past the cute little fuzzy stage. I am past ready for them to grow up so I can see what they are going to finally look and act like and who I want to keep, who will end up in the skillet, and who I will give away.

Here are a few pics of a few of my babies. I need some updated pictures though :)

This one does NOT want to grow feathers! Silly thing :p

This one might be half Basque!

And this one is a frizzle!

I lost one last night, My only white possibly splash cochin. She was just squished under the other chicks and they were just standing on her flat body. OMG I have never seen that. Wicked little creatures. I don't know if she ate something in the yard during field trip time, or if they were trying to use each other to try to jump out, or if they tried to get warm and squished one doing it (I was reducing the heat from the lamp). The coop arrives on Wednesday, It will take me through the weekend to assemble, but it can't get done soon enough. The brooder is too small. I could make a cardboard brooder really quickly this afternoon, and might do that anyway to give them more room, and so I can put a roost in there.

So the pirate chicks are down to 11. I think the lone banty cochin (Captain), is jumping on everyone. (rooster?)

I'll try for photos during today's field trip outside.

Susan

My Chicks are doing great, 2 weeks old now. Have lost a couple of them, but that is okay.

The original 14 chicks that I hatched out are about 2 1/2 weeks old today and boy did they outgrow the first brooder quickly! I bought six more chicks that I figure are about 2-3 days younger than the 14. Well today I got them in a swimming pool and out in the garage, finally! This is the first time I have put the hatched 14 and the purchased 6 together. I hated to do it to the civilized little ones (the six) but it has went pretty well. lol The Dark Cornish that I purchased are pretty fiesty but the Australorp are monsters! lol There are 3-4 of them picking on everybody! Definitely roosters - combs are really red and growing and do they have attitude! I sure didn't know that 2 week old chicks were so mean. Is this normal?

I watched that dirty jobs YouTube video on chick sexing.
The females tend to have longer feayhers on the tips of there wings the first two days?? Check out the video

Back
Top Bottom