Setting some eggs 5-13-15. Looking for some folks to hatch a long with me.

Question. Does anyone know what would happen if a RIR bred with a barred rock? One of my eggs didnt make it so i autopsied and it was a little black, fully formed chick except his head was as big as his body....
It would result in a mixed breed. Your particular chick must have had some genetic abnormality, I'm not aware of any lethal genes for those two breeds.

Congrats all on the early chicks! Day 19.5 here, ready for some babies...

First chick pipping: a barnevelder bantam! I'm at work missing all the action, but the hubs called to report. ;)

Anyone do water candling? I have two of my goose eggs in this incubator run and neither looked viable at first but it has been been 12-13 days now and one is steady getting bigger and filling more of the egg while the other still looks mostly clear and can see the yolk moving around. Neither smell bad so I don't think they would explode if I left them in longer, but I'd like to know if the better looking goose egg is actually alive. I've seen on youtube people water candling to check on dark chicken eggs and such. Do you think this would work on goose eggs as well. The one I am sure isn't good but the other is just so questionable.

Here's the instructions I go by for the float test. I'm not sure if you would see movement if they are not fully formed yet. What day are you on? I saw that you did the test but wanted to post a link because it has a lot of info! Good luck!!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ng-egg-viability-for-late-or-overdue-hatching

Good luck to all you going into lockdown, remember, those hatched chicks will be just fine in there till day 23-24 without water, food, or your fingers...so keep it locked down!

I just weighed and candled here on my day 10. I have 33 confirmed fertile and growing, 3 I am almost certain are infertile, and 5 questionable. My average weight loss is 6.1%, and the ideal weight loss for day 10 is 6.2%...so fantastic numbers. I have been running the last 3 days at 31% humidity and so I'll keep it there for now.

Congrats on your numbers!! Everything is looking good for your hatch!! Today is day 14 for me. Do you mind if I post my numbers for you tonight and you could help me calculate weight loss, whenever you have a chance?

I HAVE A PIP OMG AN ACTUAL EXTRENAL PIP!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!!! So eggciting!!!

Hi everyone, I have a pip:weee Its only day 19 but we have lift off . Hope everyone is ok with their hatches. Now the waiting really starts:pop

Congrats on the hatch!!!
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png

First chick pipping: a barnevelder bantam! I'm at work missing all the action, but the hubs called to report. ;)

Better get home and catch those babies coming out!! Congrats!

So here is my question, as this is my first hatch with my DH's FANASTIC mothers day gift of the brinsea octo 20. Do I take out the spacer rails when it's time for lockdown? Also, the one issue i have had is that it's so dry in there. I ended up putting in some thin washcloth sized sponges nice and damp. By the time I filled the reservoirs, in the auto cradle, the water was spilling out when it rocked to the far side. How do I keep the humidity up during lockdown if I cant open the lid? This is the first time incubating with it and I see text book day 15 eggs when candling. So hopefully some showgirls and silkies will hatch!

So here is my question, as this is my first hatch with my DH's FANASTIC mothers day gift of the brinsea octo 20. Do I take out the spacer rails when it's time for lockdown? Also, the one issue i have had is that it's so dry in there. I ended up putting in some thin washcloth sized sponges nice and damp. By the time I filled the reservoirs, in the auto cradle, the water was spilling out when it rocked to the far side. How do I keep the humidity up during lockdown if I cant open the lid? This is the first time incubating with it and I see text book day 15 eggs when candling. So hopefully some showgirls and silkies will hatch!

I have the same model you do. Yes, you can take down the dividers as they will just run over them anyway.

The first hatch I did I put a wet washcloth between the two compartments. It made it maybe a bit too high once they started hatching. This time I did not add any cloth but it has been a little too low. I have been putting warm drops of water through the vent with a syringe but it doesn't last more than like 30 minutes or so and it has to be done again.

Next time I will experiment with the cloth technique again, but make it a smaller cloth.

Best of luck!

I have a few quail eggs about ready to hatch and a lot of Serama eggs! My 22 duck eggs look good for next week and 1 of the 2 first peafowl eggs should hatch at the same time.
fl.gif

It has a really wonky air cell, but I can see that baby moving in there so hopefully...hopefully... Only 1 of the other 4 shipped peafowl eggs developed which is a bit disappointing. I should have bought eggs from another seller in state... oh well. I was given 4 peafowl eggs yesterday so for sure I will get some this year!

I did hatch 3 BR turkey poults that are almost a couple weeks old now and doing great! My assessment is that they are only interested in food that moves. If it just sits there in a bowl then it is very boring so I did a fair amount of hand feeding and now I am rather attached. I have heard that this is not uncommon with poults but I will try not to think about their future : ) I have some more eggs in the bator too... I guess I should figure out when those will hatch.

Happy Hatching everyone!!

Good luck with your first hatch! I don't have a Brinsea, but after all the hatches I have done, I no longer worry about keeping the humidity really high ALL through lockdown.. I think you most need a bit higher humidity as the first pips appear until the first chicks hatch because then they create their own humidity. Don't worry, I bet they'll do great! Silkies are so fun... I am always tempted to hatch more : )

Back
Top Bottom