Setting up the bator and setting shipped eggs this week....anyone else wanna join?

Finally candled last night, 22 have visible babies and 2 are maybe's. I'll candle them again in a day or two to see if there is a change. I can't wait!

Happy Monday! This is Day 10 (crazy excitment building) and humidity is at 50%. I had to adjust the bator temp yesterday slightly and it's perefect this morning right around 99-100. Outdoor temp will be 80 here....
big_smile.png
You guys can do a road trip down to see me and my bator....fun!

Melinda, I am so excited for you...WOOT WOO! 6 out of 9 is great!

Vicki - I love your orp pics...so pretty. I have 6 Lavender Orp eggs cooking.

mlmills - 22 veining eggs is sooooooo exciting!
celebrate.gif

Can't wait til lockdown....8 day countdown!
Have a great day everyone! Off to get ready for work!

7 days left here,Yeah, I can't believe it .. Now in the background we have been building a small brooder, only yesterday to realize that it will not fit through the many doors to the room we need to put it in sigh!
ep.gif
Soooooo today I will go appliance box hunting. They do make for great brooder boxes. I use one for about two weeks then discard it for another. I usually lay a piece of old linoleum in the bottom of it to prevent the bottom from getting moist. Then the first two weeks I use puppy trainning pads as the bottom. They are easily changed. they keep down odor . They give good footing. Win win situation. Me and little Mattie are all excited. She runs to the back bedroom when she comes before she even gives me a hug,(is it possible to be jealous of eggs)
lau.gif
I am so happy we can connect in this way really. It will give her some way to remember me in the future when I am gone. Maybe it will get her to be interested in chicks when she is older. Her Mom is a bit of a woos. a sweet one though. have a great Mon.

7 days left here,Yeah, I can't believe it .. Now in the background we have been building a small brooder, only yesterday to realize that it will not fit through the many doors to the room we need to put it in sigh!
ep.gif
Soooooo today I will go appliance box hunting. They do make for great brooder boxes. I use one for about two weeks then discard it for another. I usually lay a piece of old linoleum in the bottom of it to prevent the bottom from getting moist. Then the first two weeks I use puppy trainning pads as the bottom. They are easily changed. they keep down odor . They give good footing. Win win situation. Me and little Mattie are all excited. She runs to the back bedroom when she comes before she even gives me a hug,(is it possible to be jealous of eggs)
lau.gif
I am so happy we can connect in this way really. It will give her some way to remember me in the future when I am gone. Maybe it will get her to be interested in chicks when she is older. Her Mom is a bit of a woos. a sweet one though. have a great Mon.

You crack me up Gloria Jean!
lol.png
Try using large clear storage tubs I found at Walmart for brooders. They work great for me and I keep them in the garage. I use two of them and put newspaper in the bottom then a layer of pine shavings. Works perfect and easy to clean plus easy to pick up and move room to room. Also, easy to clamp a reflector light to the side for warmth. At night, when the light is off, I use a heating pad under the tubs and put the lid on ( cracked an inch or so for air) and it stays toasty warm inside for them. After two weeks or so they kinda outgrow the tubs and outside they go with an infared red heat lamp to keep warm. Of course, it is cooler where you are this time of year.

I have one of those plastic boxes in the mtns but I didn't want to buy another for here. I always use the puppy training pads though. They give better footing. If we can't laugh at ourselves a bit we get bogged down in our in our daily problems. Sooooo Laugh
lau.gif

Morning All! It's Day 11 and eggs cooking nicely. Humidity is at 52% this morning. I added some water last night before bedtime.

How's everyone's eggs doing today? Lockdown is in sight! Next Tuesday for me....can't wait!!

we will be hatching pretty close together. I am a bit earlier on my silkie eggs. I am having a staggered hatched of two days and three days. The Orpingtons will be last and due the same as you. The eggs are cooking nicely. I am on day 12. Lock down in 6 days. The waiting is nerve racking. My broody is due this week.

we will be hatching pretty close together. I am a bit earlier on my silkie eggs. I am having a staggered hatched of two days and three days. The Orpingtons will be last and due the same as you. The eggs are cooking nicely. I am on day 12. Lock down in 6 days. The waiting is nerve racking. My broody is due this week.

I am on day 12 with my silkies as well....the wait is a killer! The incubator is running perfect however! My first time with shipped eggs so I am not holding out for a super great hatch! Anxious to see how everyone does! If I get 4 or 5 out of my 14 left I would be thrilled! My biggest fear is having only one hatch
hmm.png
! Here's to strong hatches and happy babies!

Quote: who are your silkies from?
If you get 14 into lock down..you should hatch 14. Hold out for a super great hatch!!

On day 18 check the air cells..make sure you have enough room in your eggs..if you have some with a small air cell you might want to consider hatching those out in an egg carton with lower humidity. Make sure you know when they pip interior air cells..if I have larger chicks in the egg I know I will need to keep my humidity down until they pip the shells. Check the position of the chick and mark an x on the shell. Once they pip the shell they can take a full day to start getting out. Some need more time to absorb that yolk.

Temp & humidity holding steady! Nothing new to report as I am being good and waiting til next Sunday to candle (day 14). I like the idea of the puppy training pads Gloria Jean. I have some leftover from when Luke was a puppy! Thanks for the idea:).

Back
Top Bottom